May 7, 2012, 11:00 PM EDT
Joel Ward will certainly be criticized for his terribly timed double-minor high-sticking penalty late in the third period. However, Brad Richards also deserves a fair amount of credit for making the most of the opportunity with a game-tying goal in the dying seconds of regulation time.
You can take a look at it below:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Washington goaltender Braden Holtby gave it his all and had Brad Richards been even a split second later with his shot, this game might have had a very different ending. At the same time, it was a great play by Richards, who has earned his massive paycheck with his postseason performance so far. In addition to scoring a critical goal on Monday, he was also reliable at the faceoff circle.
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 34
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 45
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 31
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 26
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 25
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 49
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 9
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 6
- Report: Bertuzzi-Moore case settled out of court (Update: Bertuzzi’s lawyer confirms) 35