May 7, 2012, 12:15 PM EDT
You can add Helsinki, Finland to the list of places where NHL players stay out late carousing.
Ducks captain Ryan Getzlaf is the captain of Team Canada for this year’s World Championships but he’s allegedly also leading the way in getting into scuffles with locals during a late night on the town. Terry Jones of the Edmonton Sun shares the story of how Getzlaf is bringing his on-ice agitation skills to a Finnish nightclub.
MTV3, the official broadcaster of the world hockey championship, reported on its website that Getzlaf, winger Corey Perry and a few other Team Canada players were involved in an incident with drunken Finnish fans following their Saturday night overtime loss to the United States.
Getzlaf was alleged to have waved his fist at the Finns and said that “you do not want this” of his fist.
Another report said Getzlaf proclaimed himself “the captain of the Anaheim Ducks” and that he “threated to knock everyone out in three minutes.”
You’re correct Ryan, we do not want any of this.
Jones also reports Team USA and Maple Leafs GM Brian Burke saw the pair that morning before heading to the airport and says they weren’t drunk and weren’t hanging out with Miss Finland either, as was initially reported. Bummer.
Being out that late you wonder if there’s a curfew for the team. Risto Pakarinen of Kukla’s Korner gets a killer quote from Getzlaf to cap it off as to whether or not they have a curfew.
“No. We’re grown men.”
Party on, Ryan.
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 9
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 19
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 56
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 88
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 4
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 36
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (88)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- Live Extra: Watch Bruins-Rangers, Game 3
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- CSN: Tiger admits he and Sergio don't get along
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- PHT: Kings searching for killer instinct in Game 4