May 7, 2012, 12:15 PM EDT
You can add Helsinki, Finland to the list of places where NHL players stay out late carousing.
Ducks captain Ryan Getzlaf is the captain of Team Canada for this year’s World Championships but he’s allegedly also leading the way in getting into scuffles with locals during a late night on the town. Terry Jones of the Edmonton Sun shares the story of how Getzlaf is bringing his on-ice agitation skills to a Finnish nightclub.
MTV3, the official broadcaster of the world hockey championship, reported on its website that Getzlaf, winger Corey Perry and a few other Team Canada players were involved in an incident with drunken Finnish fans following their Saturday night overtime loss to the United States.
Getzlaf was alleged to have waved his fist at the Finns and said that “you do not want this” of his fist.
Another report said Getzlaf proclaimed himself “the captain of the Anaheim Ducks” and that he “threated to knock everyone out in three minutes.”
You’re correct Ryan, we do not want any of this.
Jones also reports Team USA and Maple Leafs GM Brian Burke saw the pair that morning before heading to the airport and says they weren’t drunk and weren’t hanging out with Miss Finland either, as was initially reported. Bummer.
Being out that late you wonder if there’s a curfew for the team. Risto Pakarinen of Kukla’s Korner gets a killer quote from Getzlaf to cap it off as to whether or not they have a curfew.
“No. We’re grown men.”
Party on, Ryan.
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 2
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 11
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 29
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 40
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 26
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 39
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)