May 7, 2012, 12:15 PM EST
You can add Helsinki, Finland to the list of places where NHL players stay out late carousing.
Ducks captain Ryan Getzlaf is the captain of Team Canada for this year’s World Championships but he’s allegedly also leading the way in getting into scuffles with locals during a late night on the town. Terry Jones of the Edmonton Sun shares the story of how Getzlaf is bringing his on-ice agitation skills to a Finnish nightclub.
MTV3, the official broadcaster of the world hockey championship, reported on its website that Getzlaf, winger Corey Perry and a few other Team Canada players were involved in an incident with drunken Finnish fans following their Saturday night overtime loss to the United States.
Getzlaf was alleged to have waved his fist at the Finns and said that “you do not want this” of his fist.
Another report said Getzlaf proclaimed himself “the captain of the Anaheim Ducks” and that he “threated to knock everyone out in three minutes.”
You’re correct Ryan, we do not want any of this.
Jones also reports Team USA and Maple Leafs GM Brian Burke saw the pair that morning before heading to the airport and says they weren’t drunk and weren’t hanging out with Miss Finland either, as was initially reported. Bummer.
Being out that late you wonder if there’s a curfew for the team. Risto Pakarinen of Kukla’s Korner gets a killer quote from Getzlaf to cap it off as to whether or not they have a curfew.
“No. We’re grown men.”
Party on, Ryan.
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 3
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 8
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 5
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 63
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 4
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 11
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (66)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)