May 7, 2012, 12:15 PM EDT
You can add Helsinki, Finland to the list of places where NHL players stay out late carousing.
Ducks captain Ryan Getzlaf is the captain of Team Canada for this year’s World Championships but he’s allegedly also leading the way in getting into scuffles with locals during a late night on the town. Terry Jones of the Edmonton Sun shares the story of how Getzlaf is bringing his on-ice agitation skills to a Finnish nightclub.
MTV3, the official broadcaster of the world hockey championship, reported on its website that Getzlaf, winger Corey Perry and a few other Team Canada players were involved in an incident with drunken Finnish fans following their Saturday night overtime loss to the United States.
Getzlaf was alleged to have waved his fist at the Finns and said that “you do not want this” of his fist.
Another report said Getzlaf proclaimed himself “the captain of the Anaheim Ducks” and that he “threated to knock everyone out in three minutes.”
You’re correct Ryan, we do not want any of this.
Jones also reports Team USA and Maple Leafs GM Brian Burke saw the pair that morning before heading to the airport and says they weren’t drunk and weren’t hanging out with Miss Finland either, as was initially reported. Bummer.
Being out that late you wonder if there’s a curfew for the team. Risto Pakarinen of Kukla’s Korner gets a killer quote from Getzlaf to cap it off as to whether or not they have a curfew.
“No. We’re grown men.”
Party on, Ryan.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 28
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 111
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 79
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (111)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (79)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)