May 7, 2012, 12:15 PM EDT
You can add Helsinki, Finland to the list of places where NHL players stay out late carousing.
Ducks captain Ryan Getzlaf is the captain of Team Canada for this year’s World Championships but he’s allegedly also leading the way in getting into scuffles with locals during a late night on the town. Terry Jones of the Edmonton Sun shares the story of how Getzlaf is bringing his on-ice agitation skills to a Finnish nightclub.
MTV3, the official broadcaster of the world hockey championship, reported on its website that Getzlaf, winger Corey Perry and a few other Team Canada players were involved in an incident with drunken Finnish fans following their Saturday night overtime loss to the United States.
Getzlaf was alleged to have waved his fist at the Finns and said that “you do not want this” of his fist.
Another report said Getzlaf proclaimed himself “the captain of the Anaheim Ducks” and that he “threated to knock everyone out in three minutes.”
You’re correct Ryan, we do not want any of this.
Jones also reports Team USA and Maple Leafs GM Brian Burke saw the pair that morning before heading to the airport and says they weren’t drunk and weren’t hanging out with Miss Finland either, as was initially reported. Bummer.
Being out that late you wonder if there’s a curfew for the team. Risto Pakarinen of Kukla’s Korner gets a killer quote from Getzlaf to cap it off as to whether or not they have a curfew.
“No. We’re grown men.”
Party on, Ryan.
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 4
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Report: Dal Colle signs with Islanders (Updated) 1
- Bridge built: Blues lock up Schwartz to two-year deal reportedly worth $4.7M 12
- Comedian Will Arnett at Leafs practice 8
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys (28)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)