May 7, 2012, 8:58 AM EDT
According to Nick Kypreos of Sportsnet, Flyers forward Claude Giroux will need to explain himself to Brendan Shanahan later this morning.
Kypreos reports Giroux will meet with the league at 11 a.m. ET today over his late head shot to Devils forward Dainius Zubrus. Giroux’s hit came late in the second period and earned him a two-minute penalty for an illegal check to the head.
Giroux’s hit and now apparent meeting with the league now puts his status for Game 5 in doubt. If the Flyers have to go into an elimination game without their top offensive player, their outlook for survival is bleak. For what it’s worth, TSN’s Bob McKenzie says Giroux’s hit was a textbook Rule 48 violation and the last time we heard that from him was in regard to Raffi Torres‘ hit on Marian Hossa.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)