May 7, 2012, 8:58 AM EST
According to Nick Kypreos of Sportsnet, Flyers forward Claude Giroux will need to explain himself to Brendan Shanahan later this morning.
Kypreos reports Giroux will meet with the league at 11 a.m. ET today over his late head shot to Devils forward Dainius Zubrus. Giroux’s hit came late in the second period and earned him a two-minute penalty for an illegal check to the head.
Giroux’s hit and now apparent meeting with the league now puts his status for Game 5 in doubt. If the Flyers have to go into an elimination game without their top offensive player, their outlook for survival is bleak. For what it’s worth, TSN’s Bob McKenzie says Giroux’s hit was a textbook Rule 48 violation and the last time we heard that from him was in regard to Raffi Torres‘ hit on Marian Hossa.
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 0
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 1
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 8
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 13
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)