May 7, 2012, 8:58 AM EDT
According to Nick Kypreos of Sportsnet, Flyers forward Claude Giroux will need to explain himself to Brendan Shanahan later this morning.
Kypreos reports Giroux will meet with the league at 11 a.m. ET today over his late head shot to Devils forward Dainius Zubrus. Giroux’s hit came late in the second period and earned him a two-minute penalty for an illegal check to the head.
Giroux’s hit and now apparent meeting with the league now puts his status for Game 5 in doubt. If the Flyers have to go into an elimination game without their top offensive player, their outlook for survival is bleak. For what it’s worth, TSN’s Bob McKenzie says Giroux’s hit was a textbook Rule 48 violation and the last time we heard that from him was in regard to Raffi Torres‘ hit on Marian Hossa.
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 2
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 7
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 32
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 108
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 30
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 51
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 77
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7