May 7, 2012, 4:55 PM EDT
From IIHF communications director Szymon Szemberg comes this shot, taken after Slovakia’s 4-2 win over the U.S. at the World Hockey Championships:
Chara, you’ll recall, sent Pacioretty flying into a Bell Center stanchion on Mar. 8, 2011, concussing the Montreal forward and fracturing his vertebrae.
The hit — and the fact Chara avoided suspension — infuriated Pacioretty (see here.)
Chara later said he tried to reach out to Pacioretty but his efforts for reconciliation were rebuffed. The two eventually talked — though it seemed that, even months after the incident, Pacioretty was still harboring resentment.
From a June 2011 article on NESN.com:
While Pacioretty feels better physically, he’s not mentally over the hit from Zdeno Chara that left him with a concussion and a broken vertebra. Pacioretty is still upset with Chara, to the point where he had to turn off his TV when the Bruins’ captain lifted the Stanley Cup last week, according to The Gazette in Montreal.
Judging by the photo, there’s still a bit of disdain there.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 22
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 5
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 10
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 14
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (25)