May 7, 2012, 4:55 PM EDT
From IIHF communications director Szymon Szemberg comes this shot, taken after Slovakia’s 4-2 win over the U.S. at the World Hockey Championships:
Chara, you’ll recall, sent Pacioretty flying into a Bell Center stanchion on Mar. 8, 2011, concussing the Montreal forward and fracturing his vertebrae.
The hit — and the fact Chara avoided suspension — infuriated Pacioretty (see here.)
Chara later said he tried to reach out to Pacioretty but his efforts for reconciliation were rebuffed. The two eventually talked — though it seemed that, even months after the incident, Pacioretty was still harboring resentment.
From a June 2011 article on NESN.com:
While Pacioretty feels better physically, he’s not mentally over the hit from Zdeno Chara that left him with a concussion and a broken vertebra. Pacioretty is still upset with Chara, to the point where he had to turn off his TV when the Bruins’ captain lifted the Stanley Cup last week, according to The Gazette in Montreal.
Judging by the photo, there’s still a bit of disdain there.
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 11
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 14
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 33
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25