May 7, 2012, 4:55 PM EST
From IIHF communications director Szymon Szemberg comes this shot, taken after Slovakia’s 4-2 win over the U.S. at the World Hockey Championships:
Chara, you’ll recall, sent Pacioretty flying into a Bell Center stanchion on Mar. 8, 2011, concussing the Montreal forward and fracturing his vertebrae.
The hit — and the fact Chara avoided suspension — infuriated Pacioretty (see here.)
Chara later said he tried to reach out to Pacioretty but his efforts for reconciliation were rebuffed. The two eventually talked — though it seemed that, even months after the incident, Pacioretty was still harboring resentment.
From a June 2011 article on NESN.com:
While Pacioretty feels better physically, he’s not mentally over the hit from Zdeno Chara that left him with a concussion and a broken vertebra. Pacioretty is still upset with Chara, to the point where he had to turn off his TV when the Bruins’ captain lifted the Stanley Cup last week, according to The Gazette in Montreal.
Judging by the photo, there’s still a bit of disdain there.
- Alzner on Washington’s woes: ‘The killer instinct isn’t there right now’ 1
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 46
- Playoff bubble watch — Rangers edition 14
- Video: Emotional day for Martin St. Louis ends in OT loss for Rangers 27
- Video: Caps, Flyers engage in another line brawl 53
- PHT’s 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 28
- Winners and losers of the 2014 trade deadline 48
- Montreal wins Vanek sweepstakes (Updated) 46
- Minnesota lands Moulson, McCormick from Buffalo (Updated) 31
- No deal: Kesler not traded 31
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Sabres send Miller, Ott to Blues for package including Halak, Stewart (74)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)