May 7, 2012, 11:18 PM EDT
The New York Rangers-Washington Capitals series hasn’t been high on scoring chances, but it’s made up for that with some genuine drama and stunning results. If a three-overtime marathon wasn’t enough, then the Rangers’ stunning 3-2 OT win to take a 3-2 series lead should do it.
“That last minute was incredible,” Staal said.
“I don’t think I’ve been in a game like that before,” Boyle said.
Perhaps the only people with some kind of experience – beyond the coaches – were the boisterous fans at Madison Square Garden. Rangers captain Ryan Callahan said that he’s never heard such an ovation at the world’s most famous arena, as he told Pat Leonard.
“Twenty seconds left, they’re standing up chanting ‘Let’s Go Rangers.'” Callahan said. “That fuels you. That makes you feel good. To be able to get that one for them and hear the Garden explode – I haven’t heard it that loud since I’ve been here.”
It was probably only a mild exaggeration to say that Rangers fans lost their minds tonight. Here’s more from Staal after the win.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)