May 7, 2012, 11:18 PM EST
The New York Rangers-Washington Capitals series hasn’t been high on scoring chances, but it’s made up for that with some genuine drama and stunning results. If a three-overtime marathon wasn’t enough, then the Rangers’ stunning 3-2 OT win to take a 3-2 series lead should do it.
“That last minute was incredible,” Staal said.
“I don’t think I’ve been in a game like that before,” Boyle said.
Perhaps the only people with some kind of experience – beyond the coaches – were the boisterous fans at Madison Square Garden. Rangers captain Ryan Callahan said that he’s never heard such an ovation at the world’s most famous arena, as he told Pat Leonard.
“Twenty seconds left, they’re standing up chanting ‘Let’s Go Rangers.’” Callahan said. “That fuels you. That makes you feel good. To be able to get that one for them and hear the Garden explode – I haven’t heard it that loud since I’ve been here.”
It was probably only a mild exaggeration to say that Rangers fans lost their minds tonight. Here’s more from Staal after the win.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 37
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 24
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 43
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 22
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 84
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)