May 7, 2012, 11:18 PM EDT
The New York Rangers-Washington Capitals series hasn’t been high on scoring chances, but it’s made up for that with some genuine drama and stunning results. If a three-overtime marathon wasn’t enough, then the Rangers’ stunning 3-2 OT win to take a 3-2 series lead should do it.
“That last minute was incredible,” Staal said.
“I don’t think I’ve been in a game like that before,” Boyle said.
Perhaps the only people with some kind of experience – beyond the coaches – were the boisterous fans at Madison Square Garden. Rangers captain Ryan Callahan said that he’s never heard such an ovation at the world’s most famous arena, as he told Pat Leonard.
“Twenty seconds left, they’re standing up chanting ‘Let’s Go Rangers.'” Callahan said. “That fuels you. That makes you feel good. To be able to get that one for them and hear the Garden explode – I haven’t heard it that loud since I’ve been here.”
It was probably only a mild exaggeration to say that Rangers fans lost their minds tonight. Here’s more from Staal after the win.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 2
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 17
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 25
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Sens tell fans to stop throwing hamburgers 35
- NHL confirms working with Isles, Leddy regarding Twitter threats (Updated) 16
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)