May 7, 2012, 11:18 PM EDT
The New York Rangers-Washington Capitals series hasn’t been high on scoring chances, but it’s made up for that with some genuine drama and stunning results. If a three-overtime marathon wasn’t enough, then the Rangers’ stunning 3-2 OT win to take a 3-2 series lead should do it.
“That last minute was incredible,” Staal said.
“I don’t think I’ve been in a game like that before,” Boyle said.
Perhaps the only people with some kind of experience – beyond the coaches – were the boisterous fans at Madison Square Garden. Rangers captain Ryan Callahan said that he’s never heard such an ovation at the world’s most famous arena, as he told Pat Leonard.
“Twenty seconds left, they’re standing up chanting ‘Let’s Go Rangers.'” Callahan said. “That fuels you. That makes you feel good. To be able to get that one for them and hear the Garden explode – I haven’t heard it that loud since I’ve been here.”
It was probably only a mild exaggeration to say that Rangers fans lost their minds tonight. Here’s more from Staal after the win.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 0
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 7
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 18
- Stamkos, power play comes alive as Lightning take 2-0 series lead vs. Habs 27
- Video: Stamkos ends goal drought in style 9
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 9
- Rangers hang on, even series with Caps 55
- Video: Ovechkin splits ‘D’, scores while falling 32
- Flames’ Gaudreau wasn’t happy with benching in Game 1 2
- Video: Blackhawks hold off Wild to take series lead 23
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)