May 7, 2012, 11:34 PM EST
Whether you agree or disagree with his strategies, Washington Capitals head coach Dale Hunter has his team buying in. The Caps bounced back nicely from what could have been a crushing triple-OT loss in Game 3 to win Game 4, but faces another tough motivational challenge after Game 5′s stunning 3-2 OT defeat.
Hunter’s solution to Stephen Whyno and others essentially follows the “K.I.S.S.” strategy,* then.
“It’s a game of hockey,” Hunter said. “It’s another game on Wednesday. It’s just hockey. Don’t over-analyze it. It’s just playing hockey.”
Joel Ward and others might lose some sleep tonight after that dizzying defeat. Braden Holtby‘s comments might persuade some to believe that the Capitals’ shot-blocking system lends itself to a few weaknesses.
Hunter’s response might be more complicated behind closed doors, but then again, he might just say the same basic thing: shut up and play. And he might be right.
* That would be “Keep It Simple, Stupid.”
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 132
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 97
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 115
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 87
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (180)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (136)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (127)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (115)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (97)