May 7, 2012, 11:34 PM EDT
Whether you agree or disagree with his strategies, Washington Capitals head coach Dale Hunter has his team buying in. The Caps bounced back nicely from what could have been a crushing triple-OT loss in Game 3 to win Game 4, but faces another tough motivational challenge after Game 5’s stunning 3-2 OT defeat.
Hunter’s solution to Stephen Whyno and others essentially follows the “K.I.S.S.” strategy,* then.
“It’s a game of hockey,” Hunter said. “It’s another game on Wednesday. It’s just hockey. Don’t over-analyze it. It’s just playing hockey.”
Joel Ward and others might lose some sleep tonight after that dizzying defeat. Braden Holtby‘s comments might persuade some to believe that the Capitals’ shot-blocking system lends itself to a few weaknesses.
Hunter’s response might be more complicated behind closed doors, but then again, he might just say the same basic thing: shut up and play. And he might be right.
* That would be “Keep It Simple, Stupid.”
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 5
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 3
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 23
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 15
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 75
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 51
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 40
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (88)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)