May 7, 2012, 9:16 AM EDT
Now that Claude Giroux is apparently headed for a meeting with the NHL over his hit on Dainius Zubrus, Giroux’s explanation of the play following last night’s loss to New Jersey gets more interesting.
Steve Simmons of the Toronto Sun got Giroux’s reasoning behind his hit on Zubrus that got him sent off for two minutes for an illegal check to the head. As you might expect, Giroux wasn’t about to say he did anything wrong on the play.
“I’m not a dirty player,” said the Flyers captain. “I don’t hit guys in the head. I was trying to finish my hit.”
He did finish it, for sure, just directly into the head of an opposing player. One thing is for sure, Giroux isn’t a dirty player, but he sure looked like a highly frustrated one last night and now that his team is on the brink of elimination, there’s a chance he won’t be on the ice to help his team try and avoid elimination.
In case you missed it, here’s video of the play in question.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 1
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)