May 7, 2012, 9:16 AM EDT
Now that Claude Giroux is apparently headed for a meeting with the NHL over his hit on Dainius Zubrus, Giroux’s explanation of the play following last night’s loss to New Jersey gets more interesting.
Steve Simmons of the Toronto Sun got Giroux’s reasoning behind his hit on Zubrus that got him sent off for two minutes for an illegal check to the head. As you might expect, Giroux wasn’t about to say he did anything wrong on the play.
“I’m not a dirty player,” said the Flyers captain. “I don’t hit guys in the head. I was trying to finish my hit.”
He did finish it, for sure, just directly into the head of an opposing player. One thing is for sure, Giroux isn’t a dirty player, but he sure looked like a highly frustrated one last night and now that his team is on the brink of elimination, there’s a chance he won’t be on the ice to help his team try and avoid elimination.
In case you missed it, here’s video of the play in question.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)