May 7, 2012, 9:16 AM EDT
Now that Claude Giroux is apparently headed for a meeting with the NHL over his hit on Dainius Zubrus, Giroux’s explanation of the play following last night’s loss to New Jersey gets more interesting.
Steve Simmons of the Toronto Sun got Giroux’s reasoning behind his hit on Zubrus that got him sent off for two minutes for an illegal check to the head. As you might expect, Giroux wasn’t about to say he did anything wrong on the play.
“I’m not a dirty player,” said the Flyers captain. “I don’t hit guys in the head. I was trying to finish my hit.”
He did finish it, for sure, just directly into the head of an opposing player. One thing is for sure, Giroux isn’t a dirty player, but he sure looked like a highly frustrated one last night and now that his team is on the brink of elimination, there’s a chance he won’t be on the ice to help his team try and avoid elimination.
In case you missed it, here’s video of the play in question.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 12
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 20
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 16
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 26
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)