May 7, 2012, 7:46 PM EDT
Fresh off signing a contract extension, Vancouver Canucks GM Mike Gillis answered some questions in a conference call this afternoon before boarding a flight.
Here’s a brief recap:
—- Gillis wants to keep coach Alain Vigneault, who’s done an “excellent job and has the results to show for it.”
—- That said, an agreement still needs to be reached with Vigneault, and that hasn’t happened yet. It’s the “first thing on my agenda,” said Gillis.
—- By all indications, Gillis believes Vigneault wants to keep coaching in Vancouver.
—- Gillis doesn’t think it’s strange that Vigneault has yet to address the media, suggesting the disappointing way the season ended may have been a factor in not wanting to answer questions right away.
—- Gillis admitted there were times when he reflected on whether he wanted to remain in the position, citing the amount of energy it takes and the scrutiny he’s constantly under.
—- He wouldn’t say how long his contract was extended.
And then he got on the plane.
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 7
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 21
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 7
- Video: Sharks’ Brown runs Voynov into Quick, scrum ensues 2
- Opportunistic Rangers pull away from Flyers, take 1-0 series lead 53
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 1) 1
- Report: Hextall ‘in the mix’ for Vancouver GM job 25
- Fuel, meet fire: Torres to return for Sharks-Kings Game 1 11
- FYI: Hartnell and Voracek have black beards now 39