May 7, 2012, 7:46 PM EDT
Fresh off signing a contract extension, Vancouver Canucks GM Mike Gillis answered some questions in a conference call this afternoon before boarding a flight.
Here’s a brief recap:
—- Gillis wants to keep coach Alain Vigneault, who’s done an “excellent job and has the results to show for it.”
—- That said, an agreement still needs to be reached with Vigneault, and that hasn’t happened yet. It’s the “first thing on my agenda,” said Gillis.
—- By all indications, Gillis believes Vigneault wants to keep coaching in Vancouver.
—- Gillis doesn’t think it’s strange that Vigneault has yet to address the media, suggesting the disappointing way the season ended may have been a factor in not wanting to answer questions right away.
—- Gillis admitted there were times when he reflected on whether he wanted to remain in the position, citing the amount of energy it takes and the scrutiny he’s constantly under.
—- He wouldn’t say how long his contract was extended.
And then he got on the plane.
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 15
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 18
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 69
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 91
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 12
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 43
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (136)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)