May 7, 2012, 7:46 PM EDT
Fresh off signing a contract extension, Vancouver Canucks GM Mike Gillis answered some questions in a conference call this afternoon before boarding a flight.
Here’s a brief recap:
—- Gillis wants to keep coach Alain Vigneault, who’s done an “excellent job and has the results to show for it.”
—- That said, an agreement still needs to be reached with Vigneault, and that hasn’t happened yet. It’s the “first thing on my agenda,” said Gillis.
—- By all indications, Gillis believes Vigneault wants to keep coaching in Vancouver.
—- Gillis doesn’t think it’s strange that Vigneault has yet to address the media, suggesting the disappointing way the season ended may have been a factor in not wanting to answer questions right away.
—- Gillis admitted there were times when he reflected on whether he wanted to remain in the position, citing the amount of energy it takes and the scrutiny he’s constantly under.
—- He wouldn’t say how long his contract was extended.
And then he got on the plane.
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 4
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 26
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 28
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)