May 7, 2012, 7:46 PM EDT
Fresh off signing a contract extension, Vancouver Canucks GM Mike Gillis answered some questions in a conference call this afternoon before boarding a flight.
Here’s a brief recap:
—- Gillis wants to keep coach Alain Vigneault, who’s done an “excellent job and has the results to show for it.”
—- That said, an agreement still needs to be reached with Vigneault, and that hasn’t happened yet. It’s the “first thing on my agenda,” said Gillis.
—- By all indications, Gillis believes Vigneault wants to keep coaching in Vancouver.
—- Gillis doesn’t think it’s strange that Vigneault has yet to address the media, suggesting the disappointing way the season ended may have been a factor in not wanting to answer questions right away.
—- Gillis admitted there were times when he reflected on whether he wanted to remain in the position, citing the amount of energy it takes and the scrutiny he’s constantly under.
—- He wouldn’t say how long his contract was extended.
And then he got on the plane.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 30
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 114
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (114)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (39)