May 7, 2012, 7:46 PM EST
Fresh off signing a contract extension, Vancouver Canucks GM Mike Gillis answered some questions in a conference call this afternoon before boarding a flight.
Here’s a brief recap:
—- Gillis wants to keep coach Alain Vigneault, who’s done an “excellent job and has the results to show for it.”
—- That said, an agreement still needs to be reached with Vigneault, and that hasn’t happened yet. It’s the “first thing on my agenda,” said Gillis.
—- By all indications, Gillis believes Vigneault wants to keep coaching in Vancouver.
—- Gillis doesn’t think it’s strange that Vigneault has yet to address the media, suggesting the disappointing way the season ended may have been a factor in not wanting to answer questions right away.
—- Gillis admitted there were times when he reflected on whether he wanted to remain in the position, citing the amount of energy it takes and the scrutiny he’s constantly under.
—- He wouldn’t say how long his contract was extended.
And then he got on the plane.
- Video: Tempers boil over between Capitals, Penguins 21
- Isles’ Clutterbuck latest to be fined for diving 18
- No hearing scheduled for Kesler after ‘dirty play’ on Dorsett 22
- Why NHL fans — no matter where they live — should care about the plunging Canadian dollar 32
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 63
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 31
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 35
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 58