May 7, 2012, 5:09 PM EDT
Long-suffering Phoenix Coyotes fans have two big reasons to be excited prior to tonight’s game at Jobing.com Arena.
First, their team is one victory over Nashville from reaching the conference finals.
Second, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman is expected to announce that a tentative agreement to sell the club to Greg Jamison has been reached.
But one columnist, Ken Campbell of The Hockey News, has no problem raining on the parade.
If only it were that easy. In fact, the prospective sale of the Coyotes might be nothing more than a shell game, with the objective of the game to extract as much money out of the good people of Glendale as possible. For example, if former San Jose Sharks CEO Greg Jamison is to purchase the Coyotes, the new lease could cost Glendale a total of $92 million over the next five years. And that could be with no guarantee the team stays beyond that time period.
According to one source close to such matters, there are a couple of major caveats to this deal.
“It might kick the can down the street by a few years,” the source said, “but that’s about it.”
Like most deals, the devil will be in the details of this one.
Two things I’ll be curious to know are the length of the lease and the penalty for breaking it. Because if I were buying the Coyotes, I’d want to know I could relocate them in a few years if the business still hadn’t turned around by then.
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 50
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 2
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Lamoriello’s departure removes any doubt: Devils are Shero’s team 21
- With Lamoriello hire, Leafs hammer home their culture change 23
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Ah, arbitration: Holtby reportedly asking for $8 million, Caps countering at $5.1 million (59)