May 7, 2012, 10:29 AM EDT
Alex Ovechkin‘s weekend came and went without so much as a hint of action stemming from his hit on Rangers defenseman Dan Girardi. While neither player seemed up in arms about the situation it was thought that Ovechkin might see action from the league thanks to having a record of suspendable hits.
Mike Zeisberger of the Toronto Sun says while Ovechkin is doing his part to help his team, the best way he can do that in the physicality department is to tone things down a bit.
But Ovechkin, as a repeat offender, had better understand that he is on a short leash with the league and is unlikely to receive any leniency from NHL Sheriff Brendan Shanahan on any questionable incidents.
Even Caps coach Dale Hunter acknowledged that Ovechkin must walk a fine line.
Considering how Ovechkin has played the game at a breakneck pace his entire career and he’s had to push himself even harder in these playoffs seeing his minutes reduced, getting a toned down Ovechkin seems like a surefire way to make him ineffective. Getting Ovechkin to be smarter about picking his moments, however, is all for the best. The last thing Washington needs is to lose their best player thanks to careless play.
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 4
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 4
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Report: Dal Colle signs with Islanders (Updated) 1
- Bridge built: Blues lock up Schwartz to two-year deal reportedly worth $4.7M 12
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys (28)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)