May 7, 2012, 10:29 AM EDT
Alex Ovechkin‘s weekend came and went without so much as a hint of action stemming from his hit on Rangers defenseman Dan Girardi. While neither player seemed up in arms about the situation it was thought that Ovechkin might see action from the league thanks to having a record of suspendable hits.
Mike Zeisberger of the Toronto Sun says while Ovechkin is doing his part to help his team, the best way he can do that in the physicality department is to tone things down a bit.
But Ovechkin, as a repeat offender, had better understand that he is on a short leash with the league and is unlikely to receive any leniency from NHL Sheriff Brendan Shanahan on any questionable incidents.
Even Caps coach Dale Hunter acknowledged that Ovechkin must walk a fine line.
Considering how Ovechkin has played the game at a breakneck pace his entire career and he’s had to push himself even harder in these playoffs seeing his minutes reduced, getting a toned down Ovechkin seems like a surefire way to make him ineffective. Getting Ovechkin to be smarter about picking his moments, however, is all for the best. The last thing Washington needs is to lose their best player thanks to careless play.
- Are the Pens leaning towards trading Letang? 30
- Playoffs Tonight: Can ‘Hawks solve Rask? 16
- Sakic: If we keep top pick, we’ll likely draft a forward 13
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 34
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 58
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 93
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 12
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 12
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 47
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead