May 7, 2012, 10:29 AM EDT
Alex Ovechkin‘s weekend came and went without so much as a hint of action stemming from his hit on Rangers defenseman Dan Girardi. While neither player seemed up in arms about the situation it was thought that Ovechkin might see action from the league thanks to having a record of suspendable hits.
Mike Zeisberger of the Toronto Sun says while Ovechkin is doing his part to help his team, the best way he can do that in the physicality department is to tone things down a bit.
But Ovechkin, as a repeat offender, had better understand that he is on a short leash with the league and is unlikely to receive any leniency from NHL Sheriff Brendan Shanahan on any questionable incidents.
Even Caps coach Dale Hunter acknowledged that Ovechkin must walk a fine line.
Considering how Ovechkin has played the game at a breakneck pace his entire career and he’s had to push himself even harder in these playoffs seeing his minutes reduced, getting a toned down Ovechkin seems like a surefire way to make him ineffective. Getting Ovechkin to be smarter about picking his moments, however, is all for the best. The last thing Washington needs is to lose their best player thanks to careless play.
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 30
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 23
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 20
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 48
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 33
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 27
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 46
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)