May 7, 2012, 11:14 PM EST
Troy Brouwer went into this game with no points and a minus-two rating in the Washington Capitals’ second round series against the New York Rangers. Brouwer finally managed to have a standout game on Monday with two assists, a plus-one rating, and two blocked shots.
The Capitals had a 2-1 lead when Joel Ward took a double-minor high-sticking penalty with just 22 seconds remaining in regulation time. The New York Rangers pounced on the opportunity, tying the game and then winning it on overtime while Ward sat in the sin bin.
Just like that, Brouwer’s good game was wasted, but he’s not pointing a finger at Ward.
“No one feels lower than [Ward] right now, but it’s not his fault,” Brouwer said. “It’s a tough break.”
We’ll see how Ward will respond in Game 6 on Wednesday. We shouldn’t forget that Ward played a big role in getting the Capitals to the second round in the first place. Maybe he’s got another heroic act in him. The Capitals could certainly use one right now.
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 20
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 44
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 30
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)