May 7, 2012, 11:14 PM EDT
Troy Brouwer went into this game with no points and a minus-two rating in the Washington Capitals’ second round series against the New York Rangers. Brouwer finally managed to have a standout game on Monday with two assists, a plus-one rating, and two blocked shots.
The Capitals had a 2-1 lead when Joel Ward took a double-minor high-sticking penalty with just 22 seconds remaining in regulation time. The New York Rangers pounced on the opportunity, tying the game and then winning it on overtime while Ward sat in the sin bin.
Just like that, Brouwer’s good game was wasted, but he’s not pointing a finger at Ward.
“No one feels lower than [Ward] right now, but it’s not his fault,” Brouwer said. “It’s a tough break.”
We’ll see how Ward will respond in Game 6 on Wednesday. We shouldn’t forget that Ward played a big role in getting the Capitals to the second round in the first place. Maybe he’s got another heroic act in him. The Capitals could certainly use one right now.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 20
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 26
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)