May 7, 2012, 11:14 PM EDT
Troy Brouwer went into this game with no points and a minus-two rating in the Washington Capitals’ second round series against the New York Rangers. Brouwer finally managed to have a standout game on Monday with two assists, a plus-one rating, and two blocked shots.
The Capitals had a 2-1 lead when Joel Ward took a double-minor high-sticking penalty with just 22 seconds remaining in regulation time. The New York Rangers pounced on the opportunity, tying the game and then winning it on overtime while Ward sat in the sin bin.
Just like that, Brouwer’s good game was wasted, but he’s not pointing a finger at Ward.
“No one feels lower than [Ward] right now, but it’s not his fault,” Brouwer said. “It’s a tough break.”
We’ll see how Ward will respond in Game 6 on Wednesday. We shouldn’t forget that Ward played a big role in getting the Capitals to the second round in the first place. Maybe he’s got another heroic act in him. The Capitals could certainly use one right now.
- Brassard says Marchand ‘doesn’t show any respect for his opponents’ 0
- Playoffs tonight: Bruins and Red Wings look to finish things in Game 5 2
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 10
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 26
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 12
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 68
- Video: Morrow’s goal off the foot stands after review 6
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 7
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 20
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (114)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- MST: Rosberg wins pole in Monaco | Highlights
- Tennis.com: Can anyone stop Serena at French?
- Tennis.com: Is French still Nadal's to lose?
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- Play Video: Highlights: Penguins crush Senators to move on
- Play Video: Neil hits Murray below the belt
- Play Video: Morrow's goal up for review in Game 5
- Play Video: Phantom penalty called on Crosby
- Play Video: I was there: Bruins stun Maple Leafs in Game 7
- Play Video: Top-seeded Blackhawks on brink of elimination