May 7, 2012, 6:11 PM EDT
If there’s one guy the Flyers might look to lead the team after Claude Giroux‘s one-game suspension, it’s Daniel Briere. The 34-year-old is a veteran of over 100 playoff contests and his penchant for scoring big goals will be big as Philly faces elimination in Tuesday’s Game 5.
Briere acknowledges he’ll have to step up and compensate for the loss of Giroux — but stresses the rest of his Flyers teammates have to as well.
“Obviously when your best player is going to miss a crucial game, it hurts,” Briere told Philly.com. “But you know what, it’s our season and there’s no time to sit back and complain. If we did, it would be wasted energy.
“It is what it is and we can’t change anything. At the end of the day, we have to move forward and have to find a way to win.”
Without Giroux — who led the team in regular season and playoff scoring — the Flyers will likely insert Zac Rinaldo in a fourth-line role and lean on its missing secondary scorers for offense. Wayne Simmonds (two points), Jaromir Jagr (one point) and Matt Read (one point) have been invisible against New Jersey, and that’s going to have to change.
“Somehow, we have to make it work,” said Briere. “Everybody has to dig deep. It’s one game. It’s not like it’s the rest of the playoffs without Claude.”
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 12
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 7
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 28
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 78
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)