May 7, 2012, 12:33 PM EDT
The Chicago Blackhawks knew they’d need a replacement after ex-assistant GM Marc Bergevin took the reins in Montreal.
It didn’t take long to find their guy.
Today, the ‘Hawks announced Director of Player Personnel Norm Maciver has been promoted to serve as GM Stan Bowman’s right-hand man. Maciver, 47, has been with the ‘Hawks for the last five years — prior to working with Chicago, he’d served as the assistant coach in Boston under bench boss Mike Sullivan.
“Norm has proven to be a valuable asset to our hockey operations over the past five years, so we are excited to be able to elevate him to this role,” Bowman said in a statement posted on the team website. “He has an excellent handle on the players within our organization, from recent draft picks to veterans, and a great eye for talent evaluating.”
A journeyman NHL blueliner (stops in New York, Hartford, Edmonton, Ottawa, Pittsburgh, Winnipeg and Phoenix), Maciver promises to have his hands full this summer.
The draft is just over a month away and the ‘Hawks have a number of free agent decisions to make. A number of veteran UFAs — Andrew Brunette, Brendan Morrison, Jamal Mayers, Sean O’Donnell, Sami Lepisto and Johnny Oduya — could be retained on the cheap or be jettisoned in favor of younger players on entry-level deals.
- Video: Mrazek makes astounding save, Stamkos brawls again 3
- 2015 Norris Trophy finalists: Doughty, Karlsson and Subban 21
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 22
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 12
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 73
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 50
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 39
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (87)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)