May 6, 2012, 6:31 PM EDT
— It seemed Nolan bit off more than he could chew with Stewart, even though Nolan’s been a fairly active pugilist over the last two years. Stewart goes 6-foot-2, 225-pounds and dropped the mitts six times this season.
— Regardless, the fight gave the Kings a spark. Dustin Brown scored the game-winning goal about five minutes later.
— Stewart got roundly razzed on Twitter for the shhh routine. “Chris Stewart tried the [Max] Talbot ‘shush’? Down 3-0?” wrote Seth Rorabaugh of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. “That should be an automatic one-game suspension.”
— That said, Stewart was one of the few Blues that improved as this series went along. After being a healthy scratch in Game 2, Stewart responded with a pair of goals in Game 3 and finished today with four hits, almost 14 minutes of ice time and the decisive win over Nolan.
— It won’t make up for his poor regular season, but it does send Stewart into the summer on a high. That’s important, because he’s a restricted free agent on July 1, along with fellow forwards TJ Oshie and David Perron.
Note: As you can see from the strikethrough, I mixed up Jordan Nolan with his older brother, Brandon. Apologies for the error — not my finest hour.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)