May 6, 2012, 6:31 PM EDT
— It seemed Nolan bit off more than he could chew with Stewart, even though Nolan’s been a fairly active pugilist over the last two years. Stewart goes 6-foot-2, 225-pounds and dropped the mitts six times this season.
— Regardless, the fight gave the Kings a spark. Dustin Brown scored the game-winning goal about five minutes later.
— Stewart got roundly razzed on Twitter for the shhh routine. “Chris Stewart tried the [Max] Talbot ‘shush’? Down 3-0?” wrote Seth Rorabaugh of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. “That should be an automatic one-game suspension.”
— That said, Stewart was one of the few Blues that improved as this series went along. After being a healthy scratch in Game 2, Stewart responded with a pair of goals in Game 3 and finished today with four hits, almost 14 minutes of ice time and the decisive win over Nolan.
— It won’t make up for his poor regular season, but it does send Stewart into the summer on a high. That’s important, because he’s a restricted free agent on July 1, along with fellow forwards TJ Oshie and David Perron.
Note: As you can see from the strikethrough, I mixed up Jordan Nolan with his older brother, Brandon. Apologies for the error — not my finest hour.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 2
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 7
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 18
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)