May 6, 2012, 11:08 AM EDT
It’s not everyday a goalie turns 40-years-old during the playoffs. It’s also not everyday that that goalie happens to be a future Hall-of-Famer either. For Martin Brodeur, today is such a day and having a game against the Flyers to cut your cake to helps provide an extra touch of motivation.
Brodeur tells Tom Gulitti of Fire & Ice that getting to be in the playoffs isn’t quite as good as being with family.
“Last year, I was in Florida. It was nice,” he said. “You get to see your family. I’m happy that I’m home at least for tonight to see them, but on the day of my birthday I won’t celebrate anything until, hopefully, after the game. That’s it.”
What does Brodeur want most for his birthday this year? It’s not too hard to figure out.
“I’d like to beat the Flyers,” he said.
So far, New Jersey’s gotten the best of Philadelphia twice and a win tonight would give them a monster 3-1 edge in the series heading into Game 5. There might not be a better gift than that and Brodeur’s teammates will need to do their part to band together and give it to him.
- Video: Sens, Leafs, Habs combine for beautiful tribute following Ottawa shootings 1
- Will winning trump revenge tonight? 3
- Sleepy Sharks hit new low in loss to Buffalo 7
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 8
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 33
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (83)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? (37)
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case (36)