May 6, 2012, 12:12 PM EST
If there’s anything Ken Hitchcock would know a thing or two about it’s how well defenseman are playing. He’s a tough defense-loving coach and after seeing three straight games of the Kings putting his Blues in a headlock, he’s got a good idea who is doing the most damage to his squad.
For Hitchcock, the guy that’s been best so far in the series is Kings defenseman Drew Doughty. Hitchcock tells Lisa Dillman of the Los Angeles Times Doughty compares very favorably with his own blue liner in Alex Pietrangelo in how they both handle the game.
“They can absorb a check and lug out the puck out themselves. You can’t find that very often. That’s what he [Doughty] does. You think you’ve got him. He pulls away on you. You think you’ve got him pinned on the boards; he pulls it off the boards and makes the play. Both guys are great at it.”
Doughty has been a physical as well as a play making force against St. Louis and one of many Kings who are making life miserable for the Blues. After scoring a goal and adding two assists in Game 3 it seems as if Doughty is only getting better as the series rolls along. With the Blues a game away from elimination, that doesn’t bode well at all for their future.
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 5
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 6
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 3
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 40
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 11
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 15
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 18
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8