May 6, 2012, 12:12 PM EDT
If there’s anything Ken Hitchcock would know a thing or two about it’s how well defenseman are playing. He’s a tough defense-loving coach and after seeing three straight games of the Kings putting his Blues in a headlock, he’s got a good idea who is doing the most damage to his squad.
For Hitchcock, the guy that’s been best so far in the series is Kings defenseman Drew Doughty. Hitchcock tells Lisa Dillman of the Los Angeles Times Doughty compares very favorably with his own blue liner in Alex Pietrangelo in how they both handle the game.
“They can absorb a check and lug out the puck out themselves. You can’t find that very often. That’s what he [Doughty] does. You think you’ve got him. He pulls away on you. You think you’ve got him pinned on the boards; he pulls it off the boards and makes the play. Both guys are great at it.”
Doughty has been a physical as well as a play making force against St. Louis and one of many Kings who are making life miserable for the Blues. After scoring a goal and adding two assists in Game 3 it seems as if Doughty is only getting better as the series rolls along. With the Blues a game away from elimination, that doesn’t bode well at all for their future.
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 0
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 8
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 38
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 16
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 7
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 5
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 0
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 49
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)