May 6, 2012, 3:54 PM EDT
While Jaromir Jagr has been pretty quiet against the Devils in this series, that’s not stopping him from reflecting on the past.
After this morning’s skate, Jagr talked with reporters about how a goal he scored against New Jersey as a member of the Pittsburgh Penguins back in 1999 was the biggest in his career and one he believes helped save the franchise. Rich Chere of The Star-Ledger relays Jagr’s tale of Game 6 heroism.
“I came back and I tied it with a minute and a half to go and then I scored in overtime. That was probably my best game ever, I would say. My most important for sure. I’ll probably never score a goal that important. Probably if I hadn’t scored, the team wouldn’t be in Pittsburgh right now. (Sidney) Crosby would be in Kansas City.”
Denying Sidney Crosby stardom in Pittsburgh for barbecue greatness in Kansas City is probably all for the best when you think about it. Still, you’ve got to think if Mario Lemieux still talks to Jagr he might be looking to help him out with his vision of history.
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 4
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 15
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 14
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 53
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)