May 6, 2012, 2:19 PM EDT
According to TSN’s Darren Dreger, former Atlanta Thrashers GM and current Maple Leafs director of player personnel Rick Dudley is about to move to Montreal.
Dreger reports Dudley is expected to be named as the new assistant general manager for the Canadiens and pair up with new GM Marc Bergevin to try and straighten the team out. Of course, the move doesn’t come without some issues as Dreger highlights.
Maple Leafs GM Brian Burke and newly appointed Canadiens GM Marc Bergevin are in discussions over Dudley’s jump from one team to the other.
Dudley, a member of Toronto’s management team, has an “out” in his contract with the Leafs, but has done extensive work for Toronto on the upcoming NHL Draft and sources say Burke would prefer Dudley not join the Canadiens until after the Draft.
Both the Leafs and Habs have top five picks in this year’s draft and the last thing Toronto wants to do is lend Montreal a hand when both teams are in critical situations heading into the summer. Toronto handing Montreal what would essentially be a cheat sheet would cause a meltdown amongst Leafs fans.
That said, Dreger hits it on the head – expect the two sides to get something worked out so Dudley can join the Habs after the draft in late June.
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 15
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 11
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 84
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (85)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)