May 6, 2012, 6:02 PM EST
The Los Angeles Kings came into today’s Game 4 with the difficult goal of trying to sweep out the second seeded St. Louis Blues. So of course they made sure to go out there and do the same thing they did in the first three games of the series and wind up taking out St. Louis 3-1 and move on to the Western Conference finals.
Once again it would be Dustin Brown and Jonathan Quick proving to be insanely frustrating for the Blues as Brown had two goals while Quick played masterfully in goal yet again stopping 23 out of 24 shots to seal the deal. While Brian Elliott played better in Game 4 for the Blues, he wasn’t able to help the Blues score.
Some thoughts to take with you into the comments:
—- L.A. is the first team to take out the top two seeds in the playoffs in the first two rounds. They’ve gone 8-1 in the playoffs. Yes, they’re the eighth seed.
—- The Kings haven’t been to the Western Conference finals since 1993 when Wayne Gretzky and Luc Robitaille led the way against the Toronto Maple Leafs.
—- L.A. isn’t lacking on playoff experience as Mike Richards and Jeff Carter were in the Eastern Conference finals and Stanley Cup finals with Philadelphia in 2010. Those Flyers were the seventh seed in the East that year.
—- Not-so sneaky best player for L.A.? Anze Kopitar. If he’s not scoring points, he’s dominating puck possession and frustrating opponents.
—- Did the Blues just run out of gas or what? The Kings beat them at their own game.
—- Does this series play out any differently if Jaroslav Halak is healthy for the Blues? Considering they couldn’t score goals, maybe they just don’t get swept.
Check out highlights of the game here:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Mike Richards trying to make the best of being sent to the AHL 0
- Price leads Habs past Caps with second straight shutout 3
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 24
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 60
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 20
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 36
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 16