May 6, 2012, 6:02 PM EDT
The Los Angeles Kings came into today’s Game 4 with the difficult goal of trying to sweep out the second seeded St. Louis Blues. So of course they made sure to go out there and do the same thing they did in the first three games of the series and wind up taking out St. Louis 3-1 and move on to the Western Conference finals.
Once again it would be Dustin Brown and Jonathan Quick proving to be insanely frustrating for the Blues as Brown had two goals while Quick played masterfully in goal yet again stopping 23 out of 24 shots to seal the deal. While Brian Elliott played better in Game 4 for the Blues, he wasn’t able to help the Blues score.
Some thoughts to take with you into the comments:
—- L.A. is the first team to take out the top two seeds in the playoffs in the first two rounds. They’ve gone 8-1 in the playoffs. Yes, they’re the eighth seed.
—- The Kings haven’t been to the Western Conference finals since 1993 when Wayne Gretzky and Luc Robitaille led the way against the Toronto Maple Leafs.
—- L.A. isn’t lacking on playoff experience as Mike Richards and Jeff Carter were in the Eastern Conference finals and Stanley Cup finals with Philadelphia in 2010. Those Flyers were the seventh seed in the East that year.
—- Not-so sneaky best player for L.A.? Anze Kopitar. If he’s not scoring points, he’s dominating puck possession and frustrating opponents.
—- Did the Blues just run out of gas or what? The Kings beat them at their own game.
—- Does this series play out any differently if Jaroslav Halak is healthy for the Blues? Considering they couldn’t score goals, maybe they just don’t get swept.
Check out highlights of the game here:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)