May 6, 2012, 6:02 PM EDT
The Los Angeles Kings came into today’s Game 4 with the difficult goal of trying to sweep out the second seeded St. Louis Blues. So of course they made sure to go out there and do the same thing they did in the first three games of the series and wind up taking out St. Louis 3-1 and move on to the Western Conference finals.
Once again it would be Dustin Brown and Jonathan Quick proving to be insanely frustrating for the Blues as Brown had two goals while Quick played masterfully in goal yet again stopping 23 out of 24 shots to seal the deal. While Brian Elliott played better in Game 4 for the Blues, he wasn’t able to help the Blues score.
Some thoughts to take with you into the comments:
—- L.A. is the first team to take out the top two seeds in the playoffs in the first two rounds. They’ve gone 8-1 in the playoffs. Yes, they’re the eighth seed.
—- The Kings haven’t been to the Western Conference finals since 1993 when Wayne Gretzky and Luc Robitaille led the way against the Toronto Maple Leafs.
—- L.A. isn’t lacking on playoff experience as Mike Richards and Jeff Carter were in the Eastern Conference finals and Stanley Cup finals with Philadelphia in 2010. Those Flyers were the seventh seed in the East that year.
—- Not-so sneaky best player for L.A.? Anze Kopitar. If he’s not scoring points, he’s dominating puck possession and frustrating opponents.
—- Did the Blues just run out of gas or what? The Kings beat them at their own game.
—- Does this series play out any differently if Jaroslav Halak is healthy for the Blues? Considering they couldn’t score goals, maybe they just don’t get swept.
Check out highlights of the game here:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 69
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)