Discuss: Devils take Game 4 on Brodeur’s 40th birthday

May 6, 2012, 10:23 PM EDT

NEWARK, NJ - MAY 06: Martin Brodeur #30 of the New Jersey Devils is welcomed by fans with signs commemorating his 40th birthday during warmups prior to playing against the Philadelphia Flyers in Game Four of the Eastern Conference Semifinals during the 2012 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs at Prudential Center on May 6, 2012 in Newark, New Jersey. (Photo by Bruce Bennett/Getty Images) Getty Images

The Philadelphia Flyers look really bad for the majority of the first 40 minutes and while they did seem like an even match for the Devils in the third period, they still ended up suffering a 4-2 loss.

After the Flyers dramatic series against the Pittsburgh Penguins, they are now one loss away from being eliminated. There aren’t any shortage of problems the Flyers are facing right now. However, it is worth noting that Ilya Bryzgalov has given up at least three goals in nine of his 10 playoff starts in 2012.

I wouldn’t put this loss on Bryzgalov, in fact he might have prevented the game from turning into a blowout, but the statistic does highlight an obvious, but still significant problem with the Philadelphia Flyers as a team. It will be interesting to see if they make any adjustments for Game 5 on Tuesday.

This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!

Here’s a few interesting notes:

1. chill1184 - May 6, 2012 at 10:25 PM

Let me guess Flyer fans; Flyers in seven?

Tuesday the clock strikes Midnight!

Happy Birthday Marty!

• libuchamach - May 6, 2012 at 10:39 PM

Flyers in 5..no 6

• hiltonandastoria - May 6, 2012 at 10:53 PM

Where is the stupid Flyer fan who said something to the effect that you’re an idiot if you don’t think Phi vs NYR are meeting in the CF?

• obamablowz - May 6, 2012 at 11:01 PM

I’m here…but not a Flyers fan

• chill1184 - May 6, 2012 at 11:08 PM

So obamablowz is a Rangers fan just like eaglesnosuperbowls. They want Philly because they dominated them in the regular season. They know that if it’s Devils-Rangers in the ECF that Marty turns it up several notches and has a good chance at destroying their dream season. Then they will call up WFAN and cry to that overrated gas bag Mike (I claim to won championships but never played or coached a sport) Francesa.

• obamablowz - May 6, 2012 at 11:53 PM

Not a Rangers fan either

• obamablowz - May 6, 2012 at 11:57 PM

My team has won many cups in my lifetime (32 years) but my team is out now…..All teams left have not won as many cups combined as the team I cheer for but it’s okay….I’m a fan that is “what have you done for me lately” and don’t say “1975 or 1993 or NEVER in the history of your team” I just thought it would be Rangers vs Flyers…THAT IS ALL

• hiltonandastoria - May 7, 2012 at 12:28 AM

No, u didn’t just think, you thought anyone who didn’t think the same was an idiot

2. ihateclevelandandphillyandbaltimore - May 6, 2012 at 10:27 PM

How many knocks Philly fans ?

Guess your just marking your territory lol.

Oh that’s right you won your cup, when you beat the pens. Go jersey!!!!

• girouxhasladyballs - May 6, 2012 at 10:32 PM

awesome name sir.

3. polegojim - May 6, 2012 at 10:28 PM

I promised I’d be more positive in my comments… so….

I’m POSITIVE the Flyers produced some of the most EMBARRASSINGLY BAD hockey I’ve seen in a very very very long time. Downright nasty effort.

GREAT job Devils…WOW – ‘manhandling’ would actually be too gentle of a description.

• hiltonandastoria - May 6, 2012 at 10:55 PM

Like a neutered puppy

4. martysbetter - May 6, 2012 at 10:30 PM

Guess we saw the definition of “playing with emotion” from Giroux at the end of the second, if he isn’t suspended for the next game it will be an absolute joke.

The fact that he got a 2 minute minor for “illegal check to the head” is laughable, how that isn’t AT LEAST a 5 minute offense is absolutely incredible to me.

That being said, good job by the Devils for staying away from the attempts by Philly to turn this into a goon-fest, feels great to beat the Flyers AND the refs again tonight.

• dmfc1112 - May 6, 2012 at 11:20 PM

what rule number is “head contact”? I never heard of it before tonight. Did they make this up tonight??

5. ningenito78 - May 6, 2012 at 10:31 PM

Just so we’re clear homer Philly fans I said Devils in 6 after game 1. Your team is overrated and your goalie sucks. Easy prediction. So Philly will win the next game and NJ will close it out in Newark in game 6. Heard it hear first Philly douschebags.

• dmfc1112 - May 6, 2012 at 11:11 PM

Bryz has played well this series. YOu certainly can’t fault the goalie for ANY of the goals tonight. Their D was atrocious. They are really showing how much they miss Pronger and Meszaros.

• tfoz5150 - May 6, 2012 at 11:25 PM

And I thought Philly had no class

6. herc883 - May 6, 2012 at 10:33 PM

The Flyers are lucky this series isn’t already over. They have been out played and out coached in every game this series. Bryzgalov has not been the problem. A garbage forecheck and weak defensive coverage coupled with the Devils playing a strong all around team game has the Flyers looking at a wednesday morning tee time. I’m a die hard Flyers fan and I am still not blind to the fact that the right team is going to win this series. I wish it wasn’t the Devils but they are earning it and the Flyers are making it way too easy for them.

• chill1184 - May 6, 2012 at 10:35 PM

Bryzgalov is one tough SOB I respect the man’s play.

• polegojim - May 7, 2012 at 12:02 AM

No kidding and AMEN.

Bryz was about the only one in a Flyers sweater who actually showed up.

7. quonce - May 6, 2012 at 10:36 PM

Forechecked them to death.

I can’t wait for all the “bad ice” cry babies from Filthy fans.

Giroux better get 2 games.

Happy birthday to the greatest Goaltender ever and boyhood idol. I feel incredibly old today knowing he is 40. One more year, I’m not ready to let go!

8. chap6869 - May 6, 2012 at 10:36 PM

First, ningenito, you’re an AZZHOLE, stfu! Second, as a Flyers fan, this series is over and I tip my cap to the true Devils fans, just too much forechecking and cycling the puck for the Flyers to handle. I’m not going to hang my head too low, this is a very young Flyers team and will be a fun team to watch for a while!

9. bobhpine - May 6, 2012 at 10:37 PM

The year after Watergate

10. ningenito78 - May 6, 2012 at 10:43 PM

I was at Brodeur’s first ever start in like 1992. He was a late add after Terreri was scratched and the crowd booed. One of my great sports memories looking back.

11. ihateclevelandandphillyandbaltimore - May 6, 2012 at 10:43 PM

When Philly loses I win. With that being said. I win a lot :)

12. jagrbomb18 - May 6, 2012 at 10:44 PM

Devils are playing better then the flyers …it’s that simple…they’re are out playing them so badly that it makes me wonder of some thing is up with the flyers players…flyers will be fun to watch for years to come so I’m still excited! I’d root for the devs to win it all but I can’t stand that French asshole brodeur…

13. scottfmullin - May 6, 2012 at 10:46 PM

Why did the Panthers look better than the Flyers do right now? Panthers pushed Devils to the brink, while the Flyers have no answers.

14. howardforvezina - May 6, 2012 at 11:08 PM

Over 40 shots by the Devils? WOW! Great job Devils.

15. ningenito78 - May 6, 2012 at 11:15 PM

Chill1184 comin in HOT. Good call bro. The Rangers want NO part of the Devils. But to Fat Mike’s credit, he’s said repeatedly he knows nothing about hawkey and has deferred on every turn. He’s good in my book.

• chill1184 - May 6, 2012 at 11:27 PM

Fatcessa being right about anything is laughable. He makes ESPN and his counter-part Micheal Kay look like Harvard scholars. He is only considered the “Best in NY sports” because he’s been around the longest and that he took advantage of Don Imus going to the national stage. Imus actually knew something about being objective and wasn’t a cheerleader for any team. Fatcessa took the easy path and just became a kiss ass, same goes for Craig Carton. The proof is how he gets on his high horse and becomes super defensive when a caller proves him to be dead wrong.

16. ningenito78 - May 6, 2012 at 11:22 PM

Chap6869- why STFU? Did I say something you don’t want to hear? The Flyer defense sucks and the goalie is overrated. The Devils are the tougher team. Hey at least Philly fans have Mike Vick and the Dream Team….

• chap6869 - May 7, 2012 at 9:03 AM

ningenito-Clearly, reading and comprehension weren’t your strong points in school, huh? If you read my post, even with the series still ongoing, I acknowledged that it was over and I congratulated the REAL Devils fans. Secondly, If you watched this series at all, which clearly you musn’t have, you would have to admit that, if it weren’t for Bryz, the scores of theses past few games would have been way worse. Why the STFU?, because instead of having a decent discussion, you have to be a complete idiot and result to name calling like a 2 year old, grow up moron!

17. maalea - May 6, 2012 at 11:24 PM

I have to say, I was dead wrong on this series, Jersey has played 10 times better in this round.

The Flyers have nothing to combat the Devil’s forecheck.

18. ningenito78 - May 6, 2012 at 11:32 PM

Chill1184- Ok. Way too much emotion over talk radio hosts on a Sunday night. I hear what you’re saying but maybe you shouldn’t listen to them if you hate them that much.

19. jimw81 - May 7, 2012 at 12:24 AM

Begin to wonder if Peter Laviolette’ message is going muted in that locker room. 4 years with no progress….

20. robsko - May 7, 2012 at 12:58 AM

So, there are three articles posted here about the DEVILS win, all three start with the words “The Philadelphia Flyers”

Ridiculous. I used this app and these sources because I refuse to even pay espn any attention, but it’s time to give the devils their due. I don’t care if the writer is a Philly guy, he’s writing national for this, be a professional and make ONE of these articles about the devils in more than headline

21. wicky888 - May 7, 2012 at 6:48 AM

Have to hand it to the Devils, they have owned us this series. We were outshot, outhit, outhustled and downright outplayed. More proof that hockey is a game of match-ups. Even if the Flyers steal game 6 on Tuesday (which they won’t), the series is over. I kinda got my hopes up after knocking out Pittsburgh, but the Flyers look like they have all year ….. a middle of the pack team.

22. jblah - May 7, 2012 at 7:49 AM

devils are playing better than the flyers. its as simple as that. they are the better team and i’m a flyers fan. so congrats on playing better than us.

23. lsxphotog - May 7, 2012 at 1:57 PM

Bryzy is 100% not the reason that game was lost. The Flyers played like garbage and they deserved to lose. If they haven’t learned their way to win by game 4 and end up losing because they’re playing laid back, submissive hockey, they have no chance in taking the series back. I was expecting Philly to take control, and they did…but then their poor play in the defensive took the wind out of their own sails. Not enough shots or pressure on Brodeur…just terrible.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches