May 6, 2012, 12:59 PM EDT
It’s the scandal that won’t totally go away for Nashville and while we’ll likely see Alexander Radulov and Andrei Kostitsyn play for the Predators in Game 5 tomorrow night, the stories swirling around about how they were busted for staying out partying are getting interesting.
New York Post hockey guru Larry Brooks reports Radulov and Kostitsyn were busted not thanks to Barry Trotz checking when hotel cards were swiped but a more traditional method: They were tipped off. Brooks explains who did the snitching.
We’re told by a trusted, uh, party that it was a couple of members of the media who ran off to Nashville management to tattle on Radulov and Kostitsyn. This is odd enough behavior in itself.
Brooks says the tattletale effort is part of a more jingoistic culture in hockey meant to put down Russians while North American players get a pass. Mike Richards and Jeff Carter might disagree with this thanks to their exile to “Dry Island.”
The more curious question here is: Should the media be doing the team’s job for them? Given how poorly Radulov played in Game 2 the team would’ve likely found out something was up, but there’s something a little uncomfortable about this if it did play out this way.
As a fan, are you OK with your team’s players being ratted out like this or should teams do their own investigating?
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 28
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 111
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 79
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (112)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (79)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)