May 6, 2012, 12:59 PM EDT
It’s the scandal that won’t totally go away for Nashville and while we’ll likely see Alexander Radulov and Andrei Kostitsyn play for the Predators in Game 5 tomorrow night, the stories swirling around about how they were busted for staying out partying are getting interesting.
New York Post hockey guru Larry Brooks reports Radulov and Kostitsyn were busted not thanks to Barry Trotz checking when hotel cards were swiped but a more traditional method: They were tipped off. Brooks explains who did the snitching.
We’re told by a trusted, uh, party that it was a couple of members of the media who ran off to Nashville management to tattle on Radulov and Kostitsyn. This is odd enough behavior in itself.
Brooks says the tattletale effort is part of a more jingoistic culture in hockey meant to put down Russians while North American players get a pass. Mike Richards and Jeff Carter might disagree with this thanks to their exile to “Dry Island.”
The more curious question here is: Should the media be doing the team’s job for them? Given how poorly Radulov played in Game 2 the team would’ve likely found out something was up, but there’s something a little uncomfortable about this if it did play out this way.
As a fan, are you OK with your team’s players being ratted out like this or should teams do their own investigating?
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 15
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 11
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 84
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (90)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)