May 6, 2012, 12:59 PM EST
It’s the scandal that won’t totally go away for Nashville and while we’ll likely see Alexander Radulov and Andrei Kostitsyn play for the Predators in Game 5 tomorrow night, the stories swirling around about how they were busted for staying out partying are getting interesting.
New York Post hockey guru Larry Brooks reports Radulov and Kostitsyn were busted not thanks to Barry Trotz checking when hotel cards were swiped but a more traditional method: They were tipped off. Brooks explains who did the snitching.
We’re told by a trusted, uh, party that it was a couple of members of the media who ran off to Nashville management to tattle on Radulov and Kostitsyn. This is odd enough behavior in itself.
Brooks says the tattletale effort is part of a more jingoistic culture in hockey meant to put down Russians while North American players get a pass. Mike Richards and Jeff Carter might disagree with this thanks to their exile to “Dry Island.”
The more curious question here is: Should the media be doing the team’s job for them? Given how poorly Radulov played in Game 2 the team would’ve likely found out something was up, but there’s something a little uncomfortable about this if it did play out this way.
As a fan, are you OK with your team’s players being ratted out like this or should teams do their own investigating?
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 22
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (65)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)