May 6, 2012, 1:51 PM EDT
If you’ve been watching the Devils-Flyers series and you’ve been wondering where the rougher edge to David Clarkson‘s game has gone, you’re not alone. Clarkson scored 30 goals this season but he’s also known for getting under the skin of opponents and the Flyers haven’t exactly been agitated by him.
Devils coach Peter DeBoer tells Tom Gulitti of Fire & Ice there’s no mistake being made that the rougher part of Clarkson’s game is absent during this series.
“I’ve asked him to play whistle to whistle and kind of get away from the agitation role that is typically part of his game because we don’t really need it right now,” DeBoer said. “We want to play 5-on-5. We’ve been one of the best 5-on-5 teams, I think, in the league in the last six to eight weeks. So, that’s our game.”
It’s strange to think that an agitating player would be asked to put that part of his game away for a round, but with how the Flyers power play performed against Pittsburgh, it makes sense.
It’s a bit of a strange move to ask a player to come out of his element, but Clarkson showed this season he can be effective by crashing the net and jumping on rebounds rather than face washing foes. If he keeps this up, they might just ask him to keep scoring goals no matter what.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)