May 6, 2012, 1:51 PM EST
If you’ve been watching the Devils-Flyers series and you’ve been wondering where the rougher edge to David Clarkson‘s game has gone, you’re not alone. Clarkson scored 30 goals this season but he’s also known for getting under the skin of opponents and the Flyers haven’t exactly been agitated by him.
Devils coach Peter DeBoer tells Tom Gulitti of Fire & Ice there’s no mistake being made that the rougher part of Clarkson’s game is absent during this series.
“I’ve asked him to play whistle to whistle and kind of get away from the agitation role that is typically part of his game because we don’t really need it right now,” DeBoer said. “We want to play 5-on-5. We’ve been one of the best 5-on-5 teams, I think, in the league in the last six to eight weeks. So, that’s our game.”
It’s strange to think that an agitating player would be asked to put that part of his game away for a round, but with how the Flyers power play performed against Pittsburgh, it makes sense.
It’s a bit of a strange move to ask a player to come out of his element, but Clarkson showed this season he can be effective by crashing the net and jumping on rebounds rather than face washing foes. If he keeps this up, they might just ask him to keep scoring goals no matter what.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 65
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 73
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (146)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)