May 6, 2012, 11:14 PM EDT
If it were up to them, it looks like TSN’s panel of Bob McKenzie, Marc Crawford, and Craig Button would hand Claude Giroux some form of supplementary discipline for his questionable hit on Dainius Zubrus late in the second period. If you missed the hit, you can take a look at it below:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Giroux received a two-minute minor for his actions and Zubrus returned to the game. However, as McKenzie pointed out, Rostislav Klesla was just handed a one-game suspension for his hit on Matt Halischuk despite the fact that Halischuk didn’t suffer an apparent injury. That being said, it’s worth adding Klesla’s incident was obviously not the same as Giroux’s, beyond the fact that both hits were controversial.
McKenzie called Giroux’s hit is a “classic Rule 48 ‘picking’ of head violation.”
It shouldn’t surprise you to learn that Flyers coach Peter Laviolette’s has a different opinion regarding the hit. Laviolette doesn’t think Giroux’s actions on Sunday are worthy of a suspension.
- BREAKING: Kessel traded to the Penguins 26
- Oilers get Sekera for six years, closing in on Letestu 4
- Avalanche sign veteran d-man Beauchemin for three years 5
- Neely was ‘surprised’ that Hamilton didn’t want to sign with Bruins 12
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 26
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 32
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 63
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 25
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 91
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 19
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (91)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)