May 6, 2012, 11:14 PM EST
If it were up to them, it looks like TSN’s panel of Bob McKenzie, Marc Crawford, and Craig Button would hand Claude Giroux some form of supplementary discipline for his questionable hit on Dainius Zubrus late in the second period. If you missed the hit, you can take a look at it below:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Giroux received a two-minute minor for his actions and Zubrus returned to the game. However, as McKenzie pointed out, Rostislav Klesla was just handed a one-game suspension for his hit on Matt Halischuk despite the fact that Halischuk didn’t suffer an apparent injury. That being said, it’s worth adding Klesla’s incident was obviously not the same as Giroux’s, beyond the fact that both hits were controversial.
McKenzie called Giroux’s hit is a “classic Rule 48 ‘picking’ of head violation.”
It shouldn’t surprise you to learn that Flyers coach Peter Laviolette’s has a different opinion regarding the hit. Laviolette doesn’t think Giroux’s actions on Sunday are worthy of a suspension.
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 13
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 76
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 4
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 88
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 83
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (88)
- Bruins’ Kelly out with broken ankle after Dupuis slash (86)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (83)