May 6, 2012, 11:14 PM EDT
If it were up to them, it looks like TSN’s panel of Bob McKenzie, Marc Crawford, and Craig Button would hand Claude Giroux some form of supplementary discipline for his questionable hit on Dainius Zubrus late in the second period. If you missed the hit, you can take a look at it below:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Giroux received a two-minute minor for his actions and Zubrus returned to the game. However, as McKenzie pointed out, Rostislav Klesla was just handed a one-game suspension for his hit on Matt Halischuk despite the fact that Halischuk didn’t suffer an apparent injury. That being said, it’s worth adding Klesla’s incident was obviously not the same as Giroux’s, beyond the fact that both hits were controversial.
McKenzie called Giroux’s hit is a “classic Rule 48 ‘picking’ of head violation.”
It shouldn’t surprise you to learn that Flyers coach Peter Laviolette’s has a different opinion regarding the hit. Laviolette doesn’t think Giroux’s actions on Sunday are worthy of a suspension.
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 61
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5