May 6, 2012, 6:59 PM EDT
Seeing the L.A. Kings close out the St. Louis Blues resulted in celebration all over Los Angeles, a party that all started when Dustin Brown sealed the victory with his empty net goal with seconds remaining in the third.
For Brown, however, things were euphorically dangerous as he was pounced on by Anze Kopitar upon burying the puck in the net. Brown tells John Hoven of Mayor’s Manor after the game that Kopitar almost took him out with his celebratory Lou Thesz press.
“[Kopitar] almost killed me in the celebration,” Brown said. “I don’t think he realizes how big and strong he is.”
That kind of stuff reminds me of seeing Brendan Shanahan get tackled by Steve Yzerman after icing the 2002 Stanley Cup finals as well as Alexander Radulov giving Jason Arnott a concussion in the 2007 playoffs thanks to an aggressive celebration. Thankfully, Brown wasn’t hurt.
If you missed it, have a look at the series-clinching goal and the mayhem that followed it at Staples Center.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)