May 6, 2012, 6:59 PM EDT
Seeing the L.A. Kings close out the St. Louis Blues resulted in celebration all over Los Angeles, a party that all started when Dustin Brown sealed the victory with his empty net goal with seconds remaining in the third.
For Brown, however, things were euphorically dangerous as he was pounced on by Anze Kopitar upon burying the puck in the net. Brown tells John Hoven of Mayor’s Manor after the game that Kopitar almost took him out with his celebratory Lou Thesz press.
“[Kopitar] almost killed me in the celebration,” Brown said. “I don’t think he realizes how big and strong he is.”
That kind of stuff reminds me of seeing Brendan Shanahan get tackled by Steve Yzerman after icing the 2002 Stanley Cup finals as well as Alexander Radulov giving Jason Arnott a concussion in the 2007 playoffs thanks to an aggressive celebration. Thankfully, Brown wasn’t hurt.
If you missed it, have a look at the series-clinching goal and the mayhem that followed it at Staples Center.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 1
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 26
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)