May 6, 2012, 6:59 PM EDT
Seeing the L.A. Kings close out the St. Louis Blues resulted in celebration all over Los Angeles, a party that all started when Dustin Brown sealed the victory with his empty net goal with seconds remaining in the third.
For Brown, however, things were euphorically dangerous as he was pounced on by Anze Kopitar upon burying the puck in the net. Brown tells John Hoven of Mayor’s Manor after the game that Kopitar almost took him out with his celebratory Lou Thesz press.
“[Kopitar] almost killed me in the celebration,” Brown said. “I don’t think he realizes how big and strong he is.”
That kind of stuff reminds me of seeing Brendan Shanahan get tackled by Steve Yzerman after icing the 2002 Stanley Cup finals as well as Alexander Radulov giving Jason Arnott a concussion in the 2007 playoffs thanks to an aggressive celebration. Thankfully, Brown wasn’t hurt.
If you missed it, have a look at the series-clinching goal and the mayhem that followed it at Staples Center.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)