May 6, 2012, 6:59 PM EDT
Seeing the L.A. Kings close out the St. Louis Blues resulted in celebration all over Los Angeles, a party that all started when Dustin Brown sealed the victory with his empty net goal with seconds remaining in the third.
For Brown, however, things were euphorically dangerous as he was pounced on by Anze Kopitar upon burying the puck in the net. Brown tells John Hoven of Mayor’s Manor after the game that Kopitar almost took him out with his celebratory Lou Thesz press.
“[Kopitar] almost killed me in the celebration,” Brown said. “I don’t think he realizes how big and strong he is.”
That kind of stuff reminds me of seeing Brendan Shanahan get tackled by Steve Yzerman after icing the 2002 Stanley Cup finals as well as Alexander Radulov giving Jason Arnott a concussion in the 2007 playoffs thanks to an aggressive celebration. Thankfully, Brown wasn’t hurt.
If you missed it, have a look at the series-clinching goal and the mayhem that followed it at Staples Center.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 11
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 12
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 66
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 89
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 12
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 43
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (136)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)