May 5, 2012, 10:33 AM EDT
Special teams in the playoffs is always a big deal. Scoring on the power play or getting scored on can make the difference in the game (or a series, just ask the Penguins). For the Washington Capitals, they know they have to be better especially on the power play.
CSNWashington.com’s Chuck Gormley talks to Caps defenseman Dennis Wideman about what it will take to help turn his team’s fortunes on the power play.
“They’re the best shot-blocking team in the league,” Wideman said. “Their forwards do a great job of getting in that [shooting] lane and timing it well. You might think you have a lane and all of a sudden they slide in front at the perfect time. We’ve got to get around that by faking shots, get them down and move it to the open guy.”
Figuring out a way to get shots through the Rangers defense has been near impossible for anyone to do, be it Washington or Ottawa in the playoffs or anyone else during the regular season. There are many reasons why the Rangers were the best in the East, but their dedication to blocking shots is near the top of the list.
If the Caps can figure out a way to make the Rangers pay for their shot blocking ways, they’ll be the first ones to pull it off this year.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 1
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)