May 5, 2012, 10:33 AM EDT
Special teams in the playoffs is always a big deal. Scoring on the power play or getting scored on can make the difference in the game (or a series, just ask the Penguins). For the Washington Capitals, they know they have to be better especially on the power play.
CSNWashington.com’s Chuck Gormley talks to Caps defenseman Dennis Wideman about what it will take to help turn his team’s fortunes on the power play.
“They’re the best shot-blocking team in the league,” Wideman said. “Their forwards do a great job of getting in that [shooting] lane and timing it well. You might think you have a lane and all of a sudden they slide in front at the perfect time. We’ve got to get around that by faking shots, get them down and move it to the open guy.”
Figuring out a way to get shots through the Rangers defense has been near impossible for anyone to do, be it Washington or Ottawa in the playoffs or anyone else during the regular season. There are many reasons why the Rangers were the best in the East, but their dedication to blocking shots is near the top of the list.
If the Caps can figure out a way to make the Rangers pay for their shot blocking ways, they’ll be the first ones to pull it off this year.
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 0
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 31
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 19
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 82
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 18
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 14
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 46
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 5
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (82)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)