May 5, 2012, 10:33 AM EDT
Special teams in the playoffs is always a big deal. Scoring on the power play or getting scored on can make the difference in the game (or a series, just ask the Penguins). For the Washington Capitals, they know they have to be better especially on the power play.
CSNWashington.com’s Chuck Gormley talks to Caps defenseman Dennis Wideman about what it will take to help turn his team’s fortunes on the power play.
“They’re the best shot-blocking team in the league,” Wideman said. “Their forwards do a great job of getting in that [shooting] lane and timing it well. You might think you have a lane and all of a sudden they slide in front at the perfect time. We’ve got to get around that by faking shots, get them down and move it to the open guy.”
Figuring out a way to get shots through the Rangers defense has been near impossible for anyone to do, be it Washington or Ottawa in the playoffs or anyone else during the regular season. There are many reasons why the Rangers were the best in the East, but their dedication to blocking shots is near the top of the list.
If the Caps can figure out a way to make the Rangers pay for their shot blocking ways, they’ll be the first ones to pull it off this year.
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 1
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 9
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 11
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)