May 5, 2012, 6:22 PM EST
Getting knocked out of the playoffs early can be a huge bummer, but if there’s an upside to it at all it’s that you’ve got free time to hit big time events. For Penguins captain Sidney Crosby, it meant heading to Louisville, Kentucky and Churchill Downs for the 138th running of the Kentucky Derby.
Our friends at NBCSN’s Twitter account spotted Sid the Kid mingling about during the day’s races looking dapper. Wonder if the Kid enjoys a good mint julep?
Crosby isn’t the only hockey guy with a thing for the ponies as NBC’s Ed Olczyk gave his thoughts on who might take today’s Run for the Roses. If only we could’ve gotten Crosby’s pick on a winner for the day’s big race to compare it to his old head coach in Pittsburgh.
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 41
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 27
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 43
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 22
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 84
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)