May 5, 2012, 11:31 PM EST
With the luxury/horror* of a rare night off from the 2012 playoffs on Saturday, it seems like it might be a good time to share some poll results from the last few months. Consider this a clearing house of sorts where we give ourselves “report cards” with the advantage of hindsight.
On March 28, we asked PHT readers if Tampa Bay Lightning sniper Steven Stamkos would reach the 60-goal mark. A stunning majority (76 percent, or 233 voters) said “Yes” and they were correct.
Will the Toronto Maple Leafs make the playoffs? (post)
On the heels of Brian Burke firing Ron Wilson in favor of Randy Carlyle, we decided to poll PHT readers about Carlyle’s chances of turning things around. Sure, it wasn’t that hard to make the call at that (March 2) point, but kudos to PHT readers who said “No.” That would be 82 percent, or 228 voters who were correct.
Dean Lombardi made a series of last-ditch efforts with his Los Angeles Kings in a tooth-and-nail struggle to make the playoffs (which might be easy to forget right now). One of those moves was to trade Jack Johnson for Jeff Carter. While Carter wasn’t the driving force of a whole lot of the success, it’s still solid that a small majority (53 percent or 176 to 156) were right.
Which team will win the Southeast Division? (post)
OK, they can’t all be gold records. Back on Feb. 19, PHT took a look at how sad the Southeast was and asked voters to name a winner. The Capitals and Jets tied with 35 percent of the votes (The Jets technically won 199-198) while the eventual division winners Florida only received 98 votes (17 percent). So, like just about everyone, PHT readers were wrong about the Panthers.
There are more polls floating around, but that’s a neat little survey of some of the more intriguing ones. PHT readers went three for four, which would make you all superhuman MLB players or John Grahame, if you abide by John Tortorella’s harsh 25 percent rule.
* – Depending upon how many social bridges you’ve burned watching playoff hockey.
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 13
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 42
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 26
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 31
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 12
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 20
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 36
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 7
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 49
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Sabres announce Pat LaFontaine resigns as president of hockey operations (66)