May 5, 2012, 4:43 PM EDT
Seeing Alex Ovechkin‘s big hit on Dan Girardi in the second period of the Caps’ 3-2 win over New York instantly sparked debate. Ovechkin was nailed for charging but he also appeared to hit Girardi up high while also leaving his feet. While both Ovechkin and Girardi downplayed the hit after the game, that’s a lot of things wrong on one play.
NBC’s Mike Milbury says Ovechkin’s hit was unacceptable for a player that’s a repeat offender when it comes to questionable hits and says a suspension wouldn’t be out of the question. Why am I telling you this though? Check out video of Milbury sounding off.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
All right so Milbury pulls back a bit and says they should leave it up to Brendan Shanahan. Hey, maybe Keith Jones is starting to rub off a bit on the big guy.
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 9
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 9
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 59
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 4
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 59
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)