May 5, 2012, 6:08 PM EDT
When Mike Richards came to Los Angeles last summer, he arrived with a reputation from Philadelphia that talked a lot about leadership. Sure enough, Richards is helping the Kings win he’s being called a big time leader once again.
Kings defenseman Matt Greene tells Rich Hammond of L.A. Kings Insider that Richards has been everything he’s advertised to be and more.
“He’s a stud. He’s everything, as delivered. He’s awesome, just the way he plays, the way he carries himself. He’s got a lot of leadership in his game. He’s a really good player. It’s pretty fun to see guys like that. We’ve got him and Brownie (Dustin Brown) up there leading the charge, in terms of, not only the skill set but the physical aspects and the grit. It’s fun to have both of those guys on the team.”
Richards being called a leader might give some fans flashbacks to the Flyers’ 2010 run to the Stanley Cup finals. While that team had a lot of things going for it, Richards was the engine that helped make it go. With the Kings, Richards is one out of many making it all work and that blend of talent seems to be doing just fine.
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 17
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 7
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 48
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34