May 5, 2012, 6:08 PM EST
When Mike Richards came to Los Angeles last summer, he arrived with a reputation from Philadelphia that talked a lot about leadership. Sure enough, Richards is helping the Kings win he’s being called a big time leader once again.
Kings defenseman Matt Greene tells Rich Hammond of L.A. Kings Insider that Richards has been everything he’s advertised to be and more.
“He’s a stud. He’s everything, as delivered. He’s awesome, just the way he plays, the way he carries himself. He’s got a lot of leadership in his game. He’s a really good player. It’s pretty fun to see guys like that. We’ve got him and Brownie (Dustin Brown) up there leading the charge, in terms of, not only the skill set but the physical aspects and the grit. It’s fun to have both of those guys on the team.”
Richards being called a leader might give some fans flashbacks to the Flyers’ 2010 run to the Stanley Cup finals. While that team had a lot of things going for it, Richards was the engine that helped make it go. With the Kings, Richards is one out of many making it all work and that blend of talent seems to be doing just fine.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 2
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)