May 5, 2012, 6:08 PM EDT
When Mike Richards came to Los Angeles last summer, he arrived with a reputation from Philadelphia that talked a lot about leadership. Sure enough, Richards is helping the Kings win he’s being called a big time leader once again.
Kings defenseman Matt Greene tells Rich Hammond of L.A. Kings Insider that Richards has been everything he’s advertised to be and more.
“He’s a stud. He’s everything, as delivered. He’s awesome, just the way he plays, the way he carries himself. He’s got a lot of leadership in his game. He’s a really good player. It’s pretty fun to see guys like that. We’ve got him and Brownie (Dustin Brown) up there leading the charge, in terms of, not only the skill set but the physical aspects and the grit. It’s fun to have both of those guys on the team.”
Richards being called a leader might give some fans flashbacks to the Flyers’ 2010 run to the Stanley Cup finals. While that team had a lot of things going for it, Richards was the engine that helped make it go. With the Kings, Richards is one out of many making it all work and that blend of talent seems to be doing just fine.
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 35
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 45
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 32
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 27
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 25
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 50
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 9
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 6
- Report: Bertuzzi-Moore case settled out of court (Update: Bertuzzi’s lawyer confirms) 35