May 5, 2012, 10:41 PM EST
CSNPhilly.com’s Tim Panaccio has a simple explanation for why the Philadelphia Flyers are down 2-1 in their semifinals series against the New Jersey Devils: a lack of fire. Most specifically, Panaccio sees a gap in intensity between the way they are performing against the Devils compared to the chaotic series against the Pittsburgh Penguins.
Danny Briere agrees.
“As a team, we just haven’t used or played with enough emotion and passion as we had in the first round against Pittsburgh,” Briere said. ““If we thought they were just going to let us win, then we had the wrong mindset and we deserve to lose, there’s no doubt about that.”
Of course, they also aren’t in the same hockey track meet like they were against the Penguins, which Jaromir Jagr points out in his own assessment of the Devils series so far.
“You gotta understand that every series is kinda different,” Jagr said. “It all depends who you play against. They’re a tight checking team that is pretty strong on the boards. They’re stronger than I thought, that is for sure. I thought we’d handle the boards a little better than we have so far. You never know. You just have to keep fighting … I thought they have been a little bit stronger and faster than us.”
While offense came easily for both the Penguins and Flyers in round one, it’s arguable that Philly was allowed to mask a few weaknesses and maybe grow a little cocky about their scoring prowess. The Devils aren’t likely to yield the same kind of space, so it’s all about being a little stronger and faster going forward.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 6
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 3
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 30
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)