May 5, 2012, 10:41 PM EDT
CSNPhilly.com’s Tim Panaccio has a simple explanation for why the Philadelphia Flyers are down 2-1 in their semifinals series against the New Jersey Devils: a lack of fire. Most specifically, Panaccio sees a gap in intensity between the way they are performing against the Devils compared to the chaotic series against the Pittsburgh Penguins.
Danny Briere agrees.
“As a team, we just haven’t used or played with enough emotion and passion as we had in the first round against Pittsburgh,” Briere said. ““If we thought they were just going to let us win, then we had the wrong mindset and we deserve to lose, there’s no doubt about that.”
Of course, they also aren’t in the same hockey track meet like they were against the Penguins, which Jaromir Jagr points out in his own assessment of the Devils series so far.
“You gotta understand that every series is kinda different,” Jagr said. “It all depends who you play against. They’re a tight checking team that is pretty strong on the boards. They’re stronger than I thought, that is for sure. I thought we’d handle the boards a little better than we have so far. You never know. You just have to keep fighting … I thought they have been a little bit stronger and faster than us.”
While offense came easily for both the Penguins and Flyers in round one, it’s arguable that Philly was allowed to mask a few weaknesses and maybe grow a little cocky about their scoring prowess. The Devils aren’t likely to yield the same kind of space, so it’s all about being a little stronger and faster going forward.
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 11
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 12
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 66
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 89
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 12
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 43
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (136)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)