May 5, 2012, 4:04 PM EDT
It felt almost too early in the tournament to have the United States and Canada square off, but both teams made sure everyone got the most of out of it. Blue Jackets defenseman and American captain Jack Johnson scored two power play goals including the game-winner in overtime to give Team USA a 5-4 win over Canada.
With flashbacks to the games between the two countries during the Olympics in 2010, the teams traded goals in the third period. The United States got the lead twice in the third thanks to goals from Patrick Dwyer and Nate Thompson only to give it back again with goals from Evander Kane and Duncan Keith.
Keith’s goal came with just 1:39 to play in the period but a John Tavares penalty for delay of game with one second left in regulation gave the United States the man advantage they needed to secure the victory in overtime. Canada goalie Cam Ward stopped 41 shots while Jimmy Howard was strong for the U.S. in stopping 30.
With such an unbelievable and exciting game and no NHL playoff games tonight, you can catch the broadcast of the game tonight at 7:30 p.m. ET on NBCSN. Team USA will play next on Monday against Slovakia at 1:15 p.m. ET which you can see live on NBCSN.
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 26
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 14
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 30
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 24
- Playoffs Tonight: Bruins know series vs Rangers isn’t over 18
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 20
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 75
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 103
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 20
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 33
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (103)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement