May 5, 2012, 4:04 PM EDT
It felt almost too early in the tournament to have the United States and Canada square off, but both teams made sure everyone got the most of out of it. Blue Jackets defenseman and American captain Jack Johnson scored two power play goals including the game-winner in overtime to give Team USA a 5-4 win over Canada.
With flashbacks to the games between the two countries during the Olympics in 2010, the teams traded goals in the third period. The United States got the lead twice in the third thanks to goals from Patrick Dwyer and Nate Thompson only to give it back again with goals from Evander Kane and Duncan Keith.
Keith’s goal came with just 1:39 to play in the period but a John Tavares penalty for delay of game with one second left in regulation gave the United States the man advantage they needed to secure the victory in overtime. Canada goalie Cam Ward stopped 41 shots while Jimmy Howard was strong for the U.S. in stopping 30.
With such an unbelievable and exciting game and no NHL playoff games tonight, you can catch the broadcast of the game tonight at 7:30 p.m. ET on NBCSN. Team USA will play next on Monday against Slovakia at 1:15 p.m. ET which you can see live on NBCSN.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Lightning ‘answer the challenge’ in Game 7 to reach Stanley Cup Final 7
- Vigneault: McDonagh was playing with a broken foot 14
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers 69
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 32
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 54
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 14
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 46
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 18
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 10
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (77)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers (69)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)