May 5, 2012, 4:04 PM EST
It felt almost too early in the tournament to have the United States and Canada square off, but both teams made sure everyone got the most of out of it. Blue Jackets defenseman and American captain Jack Johnson scored two power play goals including the game-winner in overtime to give Team USA a 5-4 win over Canada.
With flashbacks to the games between the two countries during the Olympics in 2010, the teams traded goals in the third period. The United States got the lead twice in the third thanks to goals from Patrick Dwyer and Nate Thompson only to give it back again with goals from Evander Kane and Duncan Keith.
Keith’s goal came with just 1:39 to play in the period but a John Tavares penalty for delay of game with one second left in regulation gave the United States the man advantage they needed to secure the victory in overtime. Canada goalie Cam Ward stopped 41 shots while Jimmy Howard was strong for the U.S. in stopping 30.
With such an unbelievable and exciting game and no NHL playoff games tonight, you can catch the broadcast of the game tonight at 7:30 p.m. ET on NBCSN. Team USA will play next on Monday against Slovakia at 1:15 p.m. ET which you can see live on NBCSN.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 13
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 3
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 19
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 52
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 57
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)