May 5, 2012, 4:04 PM EDT
It felt almost too early in the tournament to have the United States and Canada square off, but both teams made sure everyone got the most of out of it. Blue Jackets defenseman and American captain Jack Johnson scored two power play goals including the game-winner in overtime to give Team USA a 5-4 win over Canada.
With flashbacks to the games between the two countries during the Olympics in 2010, the teams traded goals in the third period. The United States got the lead twice in the third thanks to goals from Patrick Dwyer and Nate Thompson only to give it back again with goals from Evander Kane and Duncan Keith.
Keith’s goal came with just 1:39 to play in the period but a John Tavares penalty for delay of game with one second left in regulation gave the United States the man advantage they needed to secure the victory in overtime. Canada goalie Cam Ward stopped 41 shots while Jimmy Howard was strong for the U.S. in stopping 30.
With such an unbelievable and exciting game and no NHL playoff games tonight, you can catch the broadcast of the game tonight at 7:30 p.m. ET on NBCSN. Team USA will play next on Monday against Slovakia at 1:15 p.m. ET which you can see live on NBCSN.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 1
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 11
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 9
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 40
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 48
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 84
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 37
- Video: Yeo asked if Cooke told to ‘target’ Avs, does not like question 57
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (127)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)