May 5, 2012, 4:04 PM EDT
It felt almost too early in the tournament to have the United States and Canada square off, but both teams made sure everyone got the most of out of it. Blue Jackets defenseman and American captain Jack Johnson scored two power play goals including the game-winner in overtime to give Team USA a 5-4 win over Canada.
With flashbacks to the games between the two countries during the Olympics in 2010, the teams traded goals in the third period. The United States got the lead twice in the third thanks to goals from Patrick Dwyer and Nate Thompson only to give it back again with goals from Evander Kane and Duncan Keith.
Keith’s goal came with just 1:39 to play in the period but a John Tavares penalty for delay of game with one second left in regulation gave the United States the man advantage they needed to secure the victory in overtime. Canada goalie Cam Ward stopped 41 shots while Jimmy Howard was strong for the U.S. in stopping 30.
With such an unbelievable and exciting game and no NHL playoff games tonight, you can catch the broadcast of the game tonight at 7:30 p.m. ET on NBCSN. Team USA will play next on Monday against Slovakia at 1:15 p.m. ET which you can see live on NBCSN.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 70
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 42
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 33
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)