May 5, 2012, 10:57 AM EST
Being a goalie in the NHL has to be one of, if not the most, stressful jobs on the ice. For Rangers superstar Henrik Lundqvist, the pressure and intensity that comes with the job used to be sky high.
Key phrase there is “used to be” as he’s found an almost zen-like way of dialing things down. Larry Brooks of the New York Post hears from Lundqvist about how he’s changed his focus compared to how he used to do things when he was younger.
“I’m able to handle things like this better because I think I’ve found a better balance in my life over the last couple of years,” Lundqvist told The Post following Friday’s practice. “Even this year, over the regular season I could feel the difference in the way I was able to put the game out of mind on the off-days.
“I’m a pretty intense guy when it comes to preparation, and with the amount of mental energy that goes into playing, I needed to be able to have a different approach away from the rink, and that took some time for me.”
Taking a different approach has made life easier on Lundqvist and a lot tougher on opposing offenses. A locked in and focused Henrik Lundqvist is much scarier than a potentially overly fired up one. The real test today for Lundqvist will be to see how he shapes up after such a marathon game the other night. Another strong effort and victory will send the Rangers home with a shot of wrapping up the series.
- Report: Canes’ Jordan Staal to make season debut Monday 0
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 3
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 8
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 5
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 69
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 4
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (69)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)