May 5, 2012, 10:57 AM EST
Being a goalie in the NHL has to be one of, if not the most, stressful jobs on the ice. For Rangers superstar Henrik Lundqvist, the pressure and intensity that comes with the job used to be sky high.
Key phrase there is “used to be” as he’s found an almost zen-like way of dialing things down. Larry Brooks of the New York Post hears from Lundqvist about how he’s changed his focus compared to how he used to do things when he was younger.
“I’m able to handle things like this better because I think I’ve found a better balance in my life over the last couple of years,” Lundqvist told The Post following Friday’s practice. “Even this year, over the regular season I could feel the difference in the way I was able to put the game out of mind on the off-days.
“I’m a pretty intense guy when it comes to preparation, and with the amount of mental energy that goes into playing, I needed to be able to have a different approach away from the rink, and that took some time for me.”
Taking a different approach has made life easier on Lundqvist and a lot tougher on opposing offenses. A locked in and focused Henrik Lundqvist is much scarier than a potentially overly fired up one. The real test today for Lundqvist will be to see how he shapes up after such a marathon game the other night. Another strong effort and victory will send the Rangers home with a shot of wrapping up the series.
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 10
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 13
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 25
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 23
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 6
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)