May 5, 2012, 10:57 AM EDT
Being a goalie in the NHL has to be one of, if not the most, stressful jobs on the ice. For Rangers superstar Henrik Lundqvist, the pressure and intensity that comes with the job used to be sky high.
Key phrase there is “used to be” as he’s found an almost zen-like way of dialing things down. Larry Brooks of the New York Post hears from Lundqvist about how he’s changed his focus compared to how he used to do things when he was younger.
“I’m able to handle things like this better because I think I’ve found a better balance in my life over the last couple of years,” Lundqvist told The Post following Friday’s practice. “Even this year, over the regular season I could feel the difference in the way I was able to put the game out of mind on the off-days.
“I’m a pretty intense guy when it comes to preparation, and with the amount of mental energy that goes into playing, I needed to be able to have a different approach away from the rink, and that took some time for me.”
Taking a different approach has made life easier on Lundqvist and a lot tougher on opposing offenses. A locked in and focused Henrik Lundqvist is much scarier than a potentially overly fired up one. The real test today for Lundqvist will be to see how he shapes up after such a marathon game the other night. Another strong effort and victory will send the Rangers home with a shot of wrapping up the series.
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 4
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 7
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 17
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 17
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 53
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 9