May 5, 2012, 7:47 PM EST
The Colorado Avalanche fell a little bit short of a playoff berth for the second straight season, but they made some nice tweaks to their lineup when they traded for Jamie McGinn and Steve Downie. Downie’s effectiveness was limited by what many believed were shoulder issues late in the season, however, and the Denver Post’s Adrian Dater reports that he underwent surgery for the issue.
Dater reports that Downie injured his shoulder during a March 3 game against the Pittsburgh Penguins. Here are some extra details regarding the procedure from Dater.
The Avs confirmed that Downie underwent shoulder surgery to repair a separation in the joint, but that he his doing well in his rehab. The exact timetable of his rehab remains unclear, but it’s expected he would be ready to return by the start of training camp.
Downie is one of many upcoming free agents for Colorado, so it’s no guarantee that he’ll be in Avalanche training camp once he recovers. Here’s a list of the Avs’ free agents, via CapGeek.
In other words, Downie’s shoulder might not be the only thing that feels a little different in Colorado next season. Who would you keep from that group?
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 13
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 76
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 4
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 88
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 83
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (88)
- Bruins’ Kelly out with broken ankle after Dupuis slash (86)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (83)