May 5, 2012, 7:47 PM EDT
The Colorado Avalanche fell a little bit short of a playoff berth for the second straight season, but they made some nice tweaks to their lineup when they traded for Jamie McGinn and Steve Downie. Downie’s effectiveness was limited by what many believed were shoulder issues late in the season, however, and the Denver Post’s Adrian Dater reports that he underwent surgery for the issue.
Dater reports that Downie injured his shoulder during a March 3 game against the Pittsburgh Penguins. Here are some extra details regarding the procedure from Dater.
The Avs confirmed that Downie underwent shoulder surgery to repair a separation in the joint, but that he his doing well in his rehab. The exact timetable of his rehab remains unclear, but it’s expected he would be ready to return by the start of training camp.
Downie is one of many upcoming free agents for Colorado, so it’s no guarantee that he’ll be in Avalanche training camp once he recovers. Here’s a list of the Avs’ free agents, via CapGeek.
In other words, Downie’s shoulder might not be the only thing that feels a little different in Colorado next season. Who would you keep from that group?
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 5
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 19
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 4
- Video: Lucic and Stewart drop the gloves 20
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 5
- Struggling Coyotes ‘not anywhere good enough,’ says GM 9
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 8
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 5
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)