May 5, 2012, 7:47 PM EDT
The Colorado Avalanche fell a little bit short of a playoff berth for the second straight season, but they made some nice tweaks to their lineup when they traded for Jamie McGinn and Steve Downie. Downie’s effectiveness was limited by what many believed were shoulder issues late in the season, however, and the Denver Post’s Adrian Dater reports that he underwent surgery for the issue.
Dater reports that Downie injured his shoulder during a March 3 game against the Pittsburgh Penguins. Here are some extra details regarding the procedure from Dater.
The Avs confirmed that Downie underwent shoulder surgery to repair a separation in the joint, but that he his doing well in his rehab. The exact timetable of his rehab remains unclear, but it’s expected he would be ready to return by the start of training camp.
Downie is one of many upcoming free agents for Colorado, so it’s no guarantee that he’ll be in Avalanche training camp once he recovers. Here’s a list of the Avs’ free agents, via CapGeek.
In other words, Downie’s shoulder might not be the only thing that feels a little different in Colorado next season. Who would you keep from that group?
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 23
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 28
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)