May 5, 2012, 7:47 PM EDT
The Colorado Avalanche fell a little bit short of a playoff berth for the second straight season, but they made some nice tweaks to their lineup when they traded for Jamie McGinn and Steve Downie. Downie’s effectiveness was limited by what many believed were shoulder issues late in the season, however, and the Denver Post’s Adrian Dater reports that he underwent surgery for the issue.
Dater reports that Downie injured his shoulder during a March 3 game against the Pittsburgh Penguins. Here are some extra details regarding the procedure from Dater.
The Avs confirmed that Downie underwent shoulder surgery to repair a separation in the joint, but that he his doing well in his rehab. The exact timetable of his rehab remains unclear, but it’s expected he would be ready to return by the start of training camp.
Downie is one of many upcoming free agents for Colorado, so it’s no guarantee that he’ll be in Avalanche training camp once he recovers. Here’s a list of the Avs’ free agents, via CapGeek.
In other words, Downie’s shoulder might not be the only thing that feels a little different in Colorado next season. Who would you keep from that group?
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 5
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 25
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 20
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 18
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 14
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 31
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)