May 4, 2012, 12:01 AM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers lost Game 3 by a score of 4-3 in OT to the New Jersey Devils, but they’re likely worried about losing a guy Jaromir Jagr compared to Ron Francis, too. Rookie forward Sean Couturier hobbled off the ice fairly early on Thursday, but RDS reports that he “should be OK” and a doctor will take a look at the situation on Friday.
There’s been some talk of a cut on his leg, although the only official word is the always-vague “lower-body injury.”
The young forward has shown some of Francis’ well-documented defensive acumen, but the comparison isn’t too accurate from an offensive standpoint anymore. (At least, at this point in his development.) All four of his points came in that April 13 game; his other eight postseason contests have been all-defense or nothing including seven consecutive pointless games.
Considering the impressive forward depth in Philly, it’s unlikely that the team can really blame this loss in the event that Couturier misses significant time and they drop the series to New Jersey. Their biggest problems are in net, on defense and apparently on the power play.
That doesn’t mean they won’t miss him, though.
- Video: Drouin scores first NHL goal, shows early chemistry with Stamkos 3
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 15
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 25
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 19
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 18
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 31
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)