May 4, 2012, 12:01 AM EST
The Philadelphia Flyers lost Game 3 by a score of 4-3 in OT to the New Jersey Devils, but they’re likely worried about losing a guy Jaromir Jagr compared to Ron Francis, too. Rookie forward Sean Couturier hobbled off the ice fairly early on Thursday, but RDS reports that he “should be OK” and a doctor will take a look at the situation on Friday.
There’s been some talk of a cut on his leg, although the only official word is the always-vague “lower-body injury.”
The young forward has shown some of Francis’ well-documented defensive acumen, but the comparison isn’t too accurate from an offensive standpoint anymore. (At least, at this point in his development.) All four of his points came in that April 13 game; his other eight postseason contests have been all-defense or nothing including seven consecutive pointless games.
Considering the impressive forward depth in Philly, it’s unlikely that the team can really blame this loss in the event that Couturier misses significant time and they drop the series to New Jersey. Their biggest problems are in net, on defense and apparently on the power play.
That doesn’t mean they won’t miss him, though.
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 21
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updayed) 36
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 58
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 33
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 56
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 165
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 5
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 25
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 53
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (165)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand (61)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ (58)