May 4, 2012, 12:01 AM EST
The Philadelphia Flyers lost Game 3 by a score of 4-3 in OT to the New Jersey Devils, but they’re likely worried about losing a guy Jaromir Jagr compared to Ron Francis, too. Rookie forward Sean Couturier hobbled off the ice fairly early on Thursday, but RDS reports that he “should be OK” and a doctor will take a look at the situation on Friday.
There’s been some talk of a cut on his leg, although the only official word is the always-vague “lower-body injury.”
The young forward has shown some of Francis’ well-documented defensive acumen, but the comparison isn’t too accurate from an offensive standpoint anymore. (At least, at this point in his development.) All four of his points came in that April 13 game; his other eight postseason contests have been all-defense or nothing including seven consecutive pointless games.
Considering the impressive forward depth in Philly, it’s unlikely that the team can really blame this loss in the event that Couturier misses significant time and they drop the series to New Jersey. Their biggest problems are in net, on defense and apparently on the power play.
That doesn’t mean they won’t miss him, though.
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 18
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 48
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 0
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 4
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 39
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)