Report: NHLPA feels Torres hearing, suspension “violated the very basic requirements of a fair process.”
May 4, 2012, 8:31 PM EDT
Eric Macramalla, who is a lawyer and TSN Radio sports legal analyst, reportedly obtained a copy of the NHLPA’s request to appeal the 25-game suspension given to Raffi Torres.
As we previously reported, Torres’ issue is with the length of his suspension, rather than the fact that he was punished in the first place.
According to Marcamalla’s report, Torres believes the 25-game suspension is “excessive and arbitrary” and also points out that it’s “more than double the length of any ever issued by Brendan Shanahan and is one of the longest suspensions in the history of the NHL.”
The NHLPA wants to see supplementary discipline dished out in a “consistent manner.” They also state that the hearing and subsequent Torres’ suspension “violated the very basic requirements of a fair process.”
The notion that the suspension was inconsistent with previous rulings seems like the appropriate card to play if you’re the NHLPA. However, it’s worth noting that Shanahan appeared to be factoring in Torres long suspension history when determining his ruling. Marian Hossa, who was the victim of Torres’ hit, echoed that belief.
“I believe he wouldn’t have gotten 25 games if he didn’t have the history of what’s he done before,” Hossa said. “He didn’t get the 25 games because of the hit on me.”
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 47
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 24
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 39
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 30
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 9
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 40
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (53)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)