Report: NHLPA feels Torres hearing, suspension “violated the very basic requirements of a fair process.”
May 4, 2012, 8:31 PM EST
Eric Macramalla, who is a lawyer and TSN Radio sports legal analyst, reportedly obtained a copy of the NHLPA’s request to appeal the 25-game suspension given to Raffi Torres.
As we previously reported, Torres’ issue is with the length of his suspension, rather than the fact that he was punished in the first place.
According to Marcamalla’s report, Torres believes the 25-game suspension is “excessive and arbitrary” and also points out that it’s “more than double the length of any ever issued by Brendan Shanahan and is one of the longest suspensions in the history of the NHL.”
The NHLPA wants to see supplementary discipline dished out in a “consistent manner.” They also state that the hearing and subsequent Torres’ suspension “violated the very basic requirements of a fair process.”
The notion that the suspension was inconsistent with previous rulings seems like the appropriate card to play if you’re the NHLPA. However, it’s worth noting that Shanahan appeared to be factoring in Torres long suspension history when determining his ruling. Marian Hossa, who was the victim of Torres’ hit, echoed that belief.
“I believe he wouldn’t have gotten 25 games if he didn’t have the history of what’s he done before,” Hossa said. “He didn’t get the 25 games because of the hit on me.”
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 4
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 4
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 2
- Devils fire DeBoer 20
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 4
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 18
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)