Report: NHLPA feels Torres hearing, suspension “violated the very basic requirements of a fair process.”
May 4, 2012, 8:31 PM EDT
Eric Macramalla, who is a lawyer and TSN Radio sports legal analyst, reportedly obtained a copy of the NHLPA’s request to appeal the 25-game suspension given to Raffi Torres.
As we previously reported, Torres’ issue is with the length of his suspension, rather than the fact that he was punished in the first place.
According to Marcamalla’s report, Torres believes the 25-game suspension is “excessive and arbitrary” and also points out that it’s “more than double the length of any ever issued by Brendan Shanahan and is one of the longest suspensions in the history of the NHL.”
The NHLPA wants to see supplementary discipline dished out in a “consistent manner.” They also state that the hearing and subsequent Torres’ suspension “violated the very basic requirements of a fair process.”
The notion that the suspension was inconsistent with previous rulings seems like the appropriate card to play if you’re the NHLPA. However, it’s worth noting that Shanahan appeared to be factoring in Torres long suspension history when determining his ruling. Marian Hossa, who was the victim of Torres’ hit, echoed that belief.
“I believe he wouldn’t have gotten 25 games if he didn’t have the history of what’s he done before,” Hossa said. “He didn’t get the 25 games because of the hit on me.”
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 2
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)