May 4, 2012, 11:54 AM EDT
At a panel discussion Thursday night at the Hockey Hall of Fame in Toronto, concussion and brain injury expert Dr. Charles Tator made a definitive statement about head shots in the game of hockey:
Eliminate them entirely.
“We have no treatment for concussions,” Tator explained. “We have no treatment for the accumulative concussion, we have no treatment for the repetitive concussion, and it is the repetitive concussion that causes brain damage.
“Let’s get head shots out of hockey.”
Former Calgary Flames GM Craig Button also spoke about head shots, and believes the issue needs to be addressed.
“I don’t think it’s about fighting, it’s about blows to the head,” Button explained. “They should take away all contact to the head. Zero tolerance.”
The statements come at a time when another professional sports league, the NFL, is under siege for the treatment and handling of brain-related injury. According to a report, there are over 1,000 ex-NFL players currently suing the league, claiming not enough was done to inform players about the dangers of concussions in the past, and not enough is done to take care of them today.
In light of Tator’s comments — especially the admittance there’s “no treatment for concussions” — you can expect the issue of head shots in hockey to carry on throughout the summer, especially when it comes to negotiating a new collective bargaining agreement.
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 0
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 6
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 17
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 22
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 33
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)