May 4, 2012, 3:37 PM EDT
Some interesting news out of Calgary, especially on the heels of the Roman Cervenka signing — unrestricted free agent center Olli Jokinen had surgery earlier this week to repair an abdominal muscle tear.
Rehabilitation is expected to be three-to-four weeks and doctors expect Jokinen to make a full recovery, the Flames said.
Length of recovery is Jokinen’s only real certainty at the moment. His window to re-sign with the Flames seemed to close earlier this week when Cervenka, the KHL’s leading playoff scorer, inked a one-year, $3.8 million deal.
“Our scouts in Europe identified him as someone who could slot into our top six forward group and play in the NHL as a top two line centre,” Flames GM Jay Feaster said of Cervenka.
Some will argue that if Cervenka’s Calgary’s No. 2 center, Jokinen could be brought back as the No. 1 (he did, after all, post his highest assist and point totals in four years.)
But that seems like an awfully risky venture — Jokinen will be 34 in December, has already played over 1,000 NHL contests and, based on his 23G-38A-61PTS campaign, will probably be looking for a salary bump from the $3 million he made last year.
Will some teams be willing to pay him? Yes. Is Calgary one of those teams? Based what Feaster said upon signing Cervenka — “we need to get younger” — it doesn’t appear so.
- Lightning ‘answer the challenge’ in Game 7 to reach Stanley Cup Final 2
- Vigneault: McDonagh was playing with a broken foot 12
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers 63
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 31
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 54
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 13
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 46
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 18
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 10
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (77)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers (65)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)