May 4, 2012, 11:23 AM EDT
For fans looking to get familiar with the top players in the upcoming draft, the NHL Scouting Combine (May 28-June 2 in Toronto) is a good place to start.
This year’s edition will include the top 105 draft-eligible players in the world, including blue-chip prospects such as Nail Yakupov, Filip Forsberg and Morgan Rielly.
To see the full list of this year’s invites, click here.
The Combine is comprised of fitness/strength tests, psychological evaluations and interviews with teams.
The interview is seen by many as the make-or-break portion. After all, a player’s fitness can always get better. And if an 18-year-old’s strength really mattered, Steven Stamkos and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins wouldn’t have gone first overall.
But a player’s personality and motivations are harder to shrug off.
Questions that have reportedly been asked during interviews:
—- What would you like better, a gun, or a good poem? (Answer: Gun. Then rob a poet of all his good poems.)
—- If you were getting invaded by a country in a war and you had to take one family member with you, who would it be? (Answer: If my country were getting invaded, I’m not leaving, I’m staying to fight with the gun you gave me to rob the poet.)
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 20
- Everything happens: Ovechkin nails Tavares, Isles score 17
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 9
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 17
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 33
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 57
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 106
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 12
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (106)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (91)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)