May 4, 2012, 11:23 AM EDT
For fans looking to get familiar with the top players in the upcoming draft, the NHL Scouting Combine (May 28-June 2 in Toronto) is a good place to start.
This year’s edition will include the top 105 draft-eligible players in the world, including blue-chip prospects such as Nail Yakupov, Filip Forsberg and Morgan Rielly.
To see the full list of this year’s invites, click here.
The Combine is comprised of fitness/strength tests, psychological evaluations and interviews with teams.
The interview is seen by many as the make-or-break portion. After all, a player’s fitness can always get better. And if an 18-year-old’s strength really mattered, Steven Stamkos and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins wouldn’t have gone first overall.
But a player’s personality and motivations are harder to shrug off.
Questions that have reportedly been asked during interviews:
—- What would you like better, a gun, or a good poem? (Answer: Gun. Then rob a poet of all his good poems.)
—- If you were getting invaded by a country in a war and you had to take one family member with you, who would it be? (Answer: If my country were getting invaded, I’m not leaving, I’m staying to fight with the gun you gave me to rob the poet.)
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 13
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 2
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 3
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 26
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 17
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)