May 4, 2012, 11:23 AM EDT
For fans looking to get familiar with the top players in the upcoming draft, the NHL Scouting Combine (May 28-June 2 in Toronto) is a good place to start.
This year’s edition will include the top 105 draft-eligible players in the world, including blue-chip prospects such as Nail Yakupov, Filip Forsberg and Morgan Rielly.
To see the full list of this year’s invites, click here.
The Combine is comprised of fitness/strength tests, psychological evaluations and interviews with teams.
The interview is seen by many as the make-or-break portion. After all, a player’s fitness can always get better. And if an 18-year-old’s strength really mattered, Steven Stamkos and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins wouldn’t have gone first overall.
But a player’s personality and motivations are harder to shrug off.
Questions that have reportedly been asked during interviews:
—- What would you like better, a gun, or a good poem? (Answer: Gun. Then rob a poet of all his good poems.)
—- If you were getting invaded by a country in a war and you had to take one family member with you, who would it be? (Answer: If my country were getting invaded, I’m not leaving, I’m staying to fight with the gun you gave me to rob the poet.)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)