May 4, 2012, 11:23 AM EDT
For fans looking to get familiar with the top players in the upcoming draft, the NHL Scouting Combine (May 28-June 2 in Toronto) is a good place to start.
This year’s edition will include the top 105 draft-eligible players in the world, including blue-chip prospects such as Nail Yakupov, Filip Forsberg and Morgan Rielly.
To see the full list of this year’s invites, click here.
The Combine is comprised of fitness/strength tests, psychological evaluations and interviews with teams.
The interview is seen by many as the make-or-break portion. After all, a player’s fitness can always get better. And if an 18-year-old’s strength really mattered, Steven Stamkos and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins wouldn’t have gone first overall.
But a player’s personality and motivations are harder to shrug off.
Questions that have reportedly been asked during interviews:
—- What would you like better, a gun, or a good poem? (Answer: Gun. Then rob a poet of all his good poems.)
—- If you were getting invaded by a country in a war and you had to take one family member with you, who would it be? (Answer: If my country were getting invaded, I’m not leaving, I’m staying to fight with the gun you gave me to rob the poet.)
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)