May 4, 2012, 2:11 PM EST
“I don’t think we thought we were going to win four straight,” Hartnell told reporters. “But definitely they’ve played a lot stronger and a lot harder than me personally would have thought they’d come with.”
It’s a candid admission, though not entirely surprising given how the first round unfolded. Philadelphia was viewed by many as a Cup favorite after dispatching Pittsburgh, while few gave New Jersey a shot after it barely scraped by Florida (and had just two off days before starting Round 2.)
As such, the “guilty of looking ahead” narrative has come into play. Hartnell said it’s been frustrating for him and linemates Claude Giroux and Jaromir Jagr, who have been silenced for most of the series.
“Everyone’s frustrated. I know me personally, I’m frustrated,” Hartnell said. “You can tell with [Giroux] that he wants to make something happen every time he’s on the ice, and I think we all know that’s basically impossible.
“Whether it’s losing a puck battle at the wrong time or whatever, it seems like it’s almost contagious right now. Everybody’s doing it. It’s OK to be frustrated to a point, but we’ve got to get back our focus and get back to doing what we do well, whether it’s hitting or whatever.”
Speaking of hitting, Hartnell suggested he’ll be ratcheting up the physicality in Game 4. The Flyers have been out-hit in each of the first three games and know that trend can’t continue.
“I don’t expect Claude Giroux to go in and hit Zubrus or Salvador and those guys, that’s my job,” Hartnell said. “I’ve gotta get back to hitting and those guys have got to get back to handling the puck and doing what they do with the puck with me going to the net.
“I think we’re all just kind of out of sorts with each other, and it’s good to have a couple days off between each game to get refocused again.”
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 5
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 7
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 10
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 27
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)