May 4, 2012, 9:45 AM EDT
All season long, the Philadelphia Flyers appeared to be the Pittsburgh Penguins’ kryptonite. It makes you wonder if their first round domination of Pittsburgh had more to do with the Penguins’ inability to beat them or the Flyers raw talent.
Truthfully, it probably a little of both, but their second-round opponent, the New Jersey Devils, appear to be a different beast. They can’t simply overwhelm them like they did with the Penguins.
In the first round, Philadelphia claimed the first two contests to put history of their side. However, they have won just seven of 26 playoff series after falling down 2-1.
“There’s no guy on this team that’s going to quit,” Giroux said. “It’s going to be a wake-up call to have a good series now. They’re a good team. They can score goals. They can play good defensively. I think we need to wake it up a little bit.”
Doing a little better defensively might be a nice start for a team looking to turn things around. Bryzgalov has given up at least three goals in all but one playoff start in 2012. While that’s not entirely his fault, it is beyond troubling at this point. They could get away with that kind of thing against the Penguins, but they aren’t going to consistently get four or more goals past Martin Brodeur and the Devils’ defense.
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 21
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 15
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)