May 4, 2012, 9:45 AM EDT
All season long, the Philadelphia Flyers appeared to be the Pittsburgh Penguins’ kryptonite. It makes you wonder if their first round domination of Pittsburgh had more to do with the Penguins’ inability to beat them or the Flyers raw talent.
Truthfully, it probably a little of both, but their second-round opponent, the New Jersey Devils, appear to be a different beast. They can’t simply overwhelm them like they did with the Penguins.
In the first round, Philadelphia claimed the first two contests to put history of their side. However, they have won just seven of 26 playoff series after falling down 2-1.
“There’s no guy on this team that’s going to quit,” Giroux said. “It’s going to be a wake-up call to have a good series now. They’re a good team. They can score goals. They can play good defensively. I think we need to wake it up a little bit.”
Doing a little better defensively might be a nice start for a team looking to turn things around. Bryzgalov has given up at least three goals in all but one playoff start in 2012. While that’s not entirely his fault, it is beyond troubling at this point. They could get away with that kind of thing against the Penguins, but they aren’t going to consistently get four or more goals past Martin Brodeur and the Devils’ defense.
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 17
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 48
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 22
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 35
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 19
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)