May 4, 2012, 9:45 AM EDT
All season long, the Philadelphia Flyers appeared to be the Pittsburgh Penguins’ kryptonite. It makes you wonder if their first round domination of Pittsburgh had more to do with the Penguins’ inability to beat them or the Flyers raw talent.
Truthfully, it probably a little of both, but their second-round opponent, the New Jersey Devils, appear to be a different beast. They can’t simply overwhelm them like they did with the Penguins.
In the first round, Philadelphia claimed the first two contests to put history of their side. However, they have won just seven of 26 playoff series after falling down 2-1.
“There’s no guy on this team that’s going to quit,” Giroux said. “It’s going to be a wake-up call to have a good series now. They’re a good team. They can score goals. They can play good defensively. I think we need to wake it up a little bit.”
Doing a little better defensively might be a nice start for a team looking to turn things around. Bryzgalov has given up at least three goals in all but one playoff start in 2012. While that’s not entirely his fault, it is beyond troubling at this point. They could get away with that kind of thing against the Penguins, but they aren’t going to consistently get four or more goals past Martin Brodeur and the Devils’ defense.
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 19
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 30
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 26
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)