May 4, 2012, 12:56 PM EDT
Canucks forward Alex Burrows was forced to leave today’s World Hockey Championships game in Helsinki after colliding with a Slovak player during Canada’s 3-2 victory.
According to CP’s Chris Johnston, Burrows “looked woozy leaving the ice,” raising concerns he may have suffered a concussion.
Team Canada coach Brent Sutter said Burrows is “day to day” and will be re-evaluated tomorrow.
Incidentally, Burrows might’ve been the most excited of all the Team Canada invites. Undrafted out of junior, he’s risen all the way from the ECHL to representing his country on the international stage.
“To be here now, seven seasons into my NHL career and representing Canada, I’ve come a long way and I’m proud of it,” Burrows told the Vancouver Sun recently.
“There are so many good players who have played for our country. For me to get a chance to play, I didn’t really expect this.
“Ever since I was a kid, I always remember watching the world juniors and watching Team Canada. I remember Mario Lemieux scoring on that 3-on-1 [at the Canada Cup] in 1987. Even at the Olympics in Vancouver, I think I was the loudest guy in the building cheering for the team. It means a lot to be part of it – to try to win a gold medal.”
It’s unfortunate that Burrows is best known around the league as the guy who bit Patrice Bergeron, because even though he’s reaping what he sowed as an unabashed agitator, it takes away from a pretty great underdog story.
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 1
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 26
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)