May 4, 2012, 12:56 PM EDT
Canucks forward Alex Burrows was forced to leave today’s World Hockey Championships game in Helsinki after colliding with a Slovak player during Canada’s 3-2 victory.
According to CP’s Chris Johnston, Burrows “looked woozy leaving the ice,” raising concerns he may have suffered a concussion.
Team Canada coach Brent Sutter said Burrows is “day to day” and will be re-evaluated tomorrow.
Incidentally, Burrows might’ve been the most excited of all the Team Canada invites. Undrafted out of junior, he’s risen all the way from the ECHL to representing his country on the international stage.
“To be here now, seven seasons into my NHL career and representing Canada, I’ve come a long way and I’m proud of it,” Burrows told the Vancouver Sun recently.
“There are so many good players who have played for our country. For me to get a chance to play, I didn’t really expect this.
“Ever since I was a kid, I always remember watching the world juniors and watching Team Canada. I remember Mario Lemieux scoring on that 3-on-1 [at the Canada Cup] in 1987. Even at the Olympics in Vancouver, I think I was the loudest guy in the building cheering for the team. It means a lot to be part of it – to try to win a gold medal.”
It’s unfortunate that Burrows is best known around the league as the guy who bit Patrice Bergeron, because even though he’s reaping what he sowed as an unabashed agitator, it takes away from a pretty great underdog story.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 70
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)