May 4, 2012, 12:56 PM EST
Canucks forward Alex Burrows was forced to leave today’s World Hockey Championships game in Helsinki after colliding with a Slovak player during Canada’s 3-2 victory.
According to CP’s Chris Johnston, Burrows “looked woozy leaving the ice,” raising concerns he may have suffered a concussion.
Team Canada coach Brent Sutter said Burrows is “day to day” and will be re-evaluated tomorrow.
Incidentally, Burrows might’ve been the most excited of all the Team Canada invites. Undrafted out of junior, he’s risen all the way from the ECHL to representing his country on the international stage.
“To be here now, seven seasons into my NHL career and representing Canada, I’ve come a long way and I’m proud of it,” Burrows told the Vancouver Sun recently.
“There are so many good players who have played for our country. For me to get a chance to play, I didn’t really expect this.
“Ever since I was a kid, I always remember watching the world juniors and watching Team Canada. I remember Mario Lemieux scoring on that 3-on-1 [at the Canada Cup] in 1987. Even at the Olympics in Vancouver, I think I was the loudest guy in the building cheering for the team. It means a lot to be part of it – to try to win a gold medal.”
It’s unfortunate that Burrows is best known around the league as the guy who bit Patrice Bergeron, because even though he’s reaping what he sowed as an unabashed agitator, it takes away from a pretty great underdog story.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 0
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 6
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 9
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 24
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)