May 4, 2012, 12:56 PM EDT
Canucks forward Alex Burrows was forced to leave today’s World Hockey Championships game in Helsinki after colliding with a Slovak player during Canada’s 3-2 victory.
According to CP’s Chris Johnston, Burrows “looked woozy leaving the ice,” raising concerns he may have suffered a concussion.
Team Canada coach Brent Sutter said Burrows is “day to day” and will be re-evaluated tomorrow.
Incidentally, Burrows might’ve been the most excited of all the Team Canada invites. Undrafted out of junior, he’s risen all the way from the ECHL to representing his country on the international stage.
“To be here now, seven seasons into my NHL career and representing Canada, I’ve come a long way and I’m proud of it,” Burrows told the Vancouver Sun recently.
“There are so many good players who have played for our country. For me to get a chance to play, I didn’t really expect this.
“Ever since I was a kid, I always remember watching the world juniors and watching Team Canada. I remember Mario Lemieux scoring on that 3-on-1 [at the Canada Cup] in 1987. Even at the Olympics in Vancouver, I think I was the loudest guy in the building cheering for the team. It means a lot to be part of it – to try to win a gold medal.”
It’s unfortunate that Burrows is best known around the league as the guy who bit Patrice Bergeron, because even though he’s reaping what he sowed as an unabashed agitator, it takes away from a pretty great underdog story.
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 50
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 2
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Lamoriello’s departure removes any doubt: Devils are Shero’s team 21
- With Lamoriello hire, Leafs hammer home their culture change 23
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Ah, arbitration: Holtby reportedly asking for $8 million, Caps countering at $5.1 million (59)