May 4, 2012, 8:00 AM EST
The last time the Los Angeles Kings were up 3-0 in a series, it was a couple weeks ago. Both the St. Louis Blues and Ken Hitchcock (as the Columbus Blue Jackets coach) dealt with a 3-0 series deficit the last time they were in the playoffs in 2009.
So that much is familiar. For the most part, both teams probably have something of an unfamiliar feeling after Thursday’s 4-2 Kings win. Let’s take a look at some facts that are fun for just about everyone accept the Blues and their fans.
- Curtis Zupke points out two oddities: a) defensive minded blueliner Matt Greene has a point in every game in this series and b) the Blues hadn’t lost three straight regulation games in all of 2011-12 until now.
- The Kings’ total goals for and against versus the West’s top two teams in eight playoff games: 24-14.
- Want some ammo if you’re in the Start Jake Allen camp? Lou Korac points out Brian Elliott‘s ugly semifinals numbers: 0-3 record, 3.75 GAA and .845 save percentage. Could Allen get much worse?
- If the Kings win Game 4, it would be the first time they’ve ever swept a playoff series.
- Also if Los Angeles wins, that would punch its ticket to the conference finals for the first time since 1993. Neither the Kings nor the Blues have ever won a Stanley Cup, so don’t blame the two fan bases if they feel like kindred spirits.
- The Blues have only come back from a 2-0 deficit (let alone a 3-0 one) once in 15 tries in franchise history, according to the AP. That comeback happened against the Minnesota Wild in 1972. Yup, that’s 40 years.
- As you probably know – especially if you live in Boston or Philadelphia – the 2010 Philadelphia Flyers came back from a 3-0 series deficit to beat the Boston Bruins. Mike Richards was involved, but for the winners.
- Byfuglien out 2-4 weeks with upper-body injury; Little hurt, too 7
- Bettman concedes there are ‘some members of the NHL family who would like to see fewer shootouts’ 30
- Season over: Avs lose MacKinnon to broken foot 16
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 18
- Bruins sign Krug and Smith to contract extensions 35
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 15
- In praise of the Hamburglar 14
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 9
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 21
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 32