May 4, 2012, 8:00 AM EST
The last time the Los Angeles Kings were up 3-0 in a series, it was a couple weeks ago. Both the St. Louis Blues and Ken Hitchcock (as the Columbus Blue Jackets coach) dealt with a 3-0 series deficit the last time they were in the playoffs in 2009.
So that much is familiar. For the most part, both teams probably have something of an unfamiliar feeling after Thursday’s 4-2 Kings win. Let’s take a look at some facts that are fun for just about everyone accept the Blues and their fans.
- Curtis Zupke points out two oddities: a) defensive minded blueliner Matt Greene has a point in every game in this series and b) the Blues hadn’t lost three straight regulation games in all of 2011-12 until now.
- The Kings’ total goals for and against versus the West’s top two teams in eight playoff games: 24-14.
- Want some ammo if you’re in the Start Jake Allen camp? Lou Korac points out Brian Elliott‘s ugly semifinals numbers: 0-3 record, 3.75 GAA and .845 save percentage. Could Allen get much worse?
- If the Kings win Game 4, it would be the first time they’ve ever swept a playoff series.
- Also if Los Angeles wins, that would punch its ticket to the conference finals for the first time since 1993. Neither the Kings nor the Blues have ever won a Stanley Cup, so don’t blame the two fan bases if they feel like kindred spirits.
- The Blues have only come back from a 2-0 deficit (let alone a 3-0 one) once in 15 tries in franchise history, according to the AP. That comeback happened against the Minnesota Wild in 1972. Yup, that’s 40 years.
- As you probably know – especially if you live in Boston or Philadelphia – the 2010 Philadelphia Flyers came back from a 3-0 series deficit to beat the Boston Bruins. Mike Richards was involved, but for the winners.
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 0
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 0
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 5
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 0
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 9
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 6
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 15
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)