May 4, 2012, 10:04 AM EDT
The New Jersey Devils’ Martin Brodeur has rewritten the history book, so you would just naturally assume that overtime postseason games are another area where he’s been traditionally dominate.
Actually, nothing could be further from the truth. While he’s earned 105 playoff wins, Brodeur entered the 2011-12 campaign with a 12-21 record in postseason overtime contests.
2012 has been the exception for Brodeur. With four of the Devils’ last five games going to overtime, Brodeur has held his own and posted a 3-1 record in those contests. Those three overtime wins are a new personal best for Brodeur in a single playoff run, and the Devils are only three games into their second round series.
Brodeur celebrate his 40th birthday on Sunday, but he certainly hasn’t been playing like a man whose career is winding down. While he has let in some weak goals along the way, Brodeur is still one of the reasons the Devils are just two wins away from the Eastern Conference finals.
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 11
- Toews has beef with officiating after Game 2 loss 25
- Discuss: Red Wings even up series, take down Chicago 4-1 20
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 3
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 3
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 24
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 8
- Senators’ coach MacLean: Karlsson ‘wasn’t one of the best players’ 4
- Discuss: Penguins defeat Senators in Game 2; lead series 2-0 40
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators 91
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Discuss: Penguins knock Islanders out of playoffs (99)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Oxbow upsets Orb in Preakness
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Chargers ink Freeney for 2 years, $8.5 million
- PFT: Teammate says Titus Young opened up to him
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings even series, thump Blackhawks
- Play Video: Filppula scores impressive, unbalanced goal
- Play Video: IIHF highlights: Sweden 3, Finland 0
- Play Video: Highlights: Crosby's hat-trick leads Pens in Game 2
- Play Video: Vokoun robs Greening
- Play Video: Crosby scores twice early on in Game 2