May 4, 2012, 12:58 PM EST
If history ends up repeating itself, David Backes will look like a genius.
If it doesn’t, his season will be over.
That’s the situation at play after the St. Louis Blues lost 4-2 to the Kings on Thursday night, falling into an 0-3 series deficit.
This marks the second straight round LA has jumped out to a three games to none lead. They did the same to Vancouver before losing Game 4, then rallying to win Game 5 in OT.
After Thursday’s loss, Backes said the Blues would do the same thing the Canucks did — win their first elimination game.
“We thought about seven games at the beginning of the series and that’s what it’s going to take for us to have success,” he told reporters. “We will start with a win in Game 4.”
If the Blues want to push the series back to St. Louis, they’re going to need better goaltending. On Thursday, Brian Elliott was shakier than a seismograph on the San Andreas Fault, allowing this bad-angle goal to Mike Richards:
Later, he failed to squeeze the pads on a Drew Doughty shot:
Blues head coach Ken Hitchcock wouldn’t throw Elliott under the bus with his postgame comments, but hinted those mistakes decided the outcome.
“We mounted the comeback, made it 1-1, and then gave up the quick goal again,” he said. “And then when we had it 3-2, miss those two great chances and we let up another goal quickly after that.
“They are momentum goals on their side in the three games. That’s a fine line between winning and losing. They’re on top of their game right now. Have been for a little while.”
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 13
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 6
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 13
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 16
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8
- Could Vermette land in Washington? 8
- Pens confirm Maatta has the mumps 5
- As holiday roster freeze approaches, Bruins linked to Oshie, Kassian 27
- Video: Pacioretty taken to hospital, reportedly no hearing expected for Stoner after questionable hit 35