May 4, 2012, 12:58 PM EDT
If history ends up repeating itself, David Backes will look like a genius.
If it doesn’t, his season will be over.
That’s the situation at play after the St. Louis Blues lost 4-2 to the Kings on Thursday night, falling into an 0-3 series deficit.
This marks the second straight round LA has jumped out to a three games to none lead. They did the same to Vancouver before losing Game 4, then rallying to win Game 5 in OT.
After Thursday’s loss, Backes said the Blues would do the same thing the Canucks did — win their first elimination game.
“We thought about seven games at the beginning of the series and that’s what it’s going to take for us to have success,” he told reporters. “We will start with a win in Game 4.”
If the Blues want to push the series back to St. Louis, they’re going to need better goaltending. On Thursday, Brian Elliott was shakier than a seismograph on the San Andreas Fault, allowing this bad-angle goal to Mike Richards:
Later, he failed to squeeze the pads on a Drew Doughty shot:
Blues head coach Ken Hitchcock wouldn’t throw Elliott under the bus with his postgame comments, but hinted those mistakes decided the outcome.
“We mounted the comeback, made it 1-1, and then gave up the quick goal again,” he said. “And then when we had it 3-2, miss those two great chances and we let up another goal quickly after that.
“They are momentum goals on their side in the three games. That’s a fine line between winning and losing. They’re on top of their game right now. Have been for a little while.”
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 9
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 55
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 22
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)