May 4, 2012, 12:58 PM EDT
If history ends up repeating itself, David Backes will look like a genius.
If it doesn’t, his season will be over.
That’s the situation at play after the St. Louis Blues lost 4-2 to the Kings on Thursday night, falling into an 0-3 series deficit.
This marks the second straight round LA has jumped out to a three games to none lead. They did the same to Vancouver before losing Game 4, then rallying to win Game 5 in OT.
After Thursday’s loss, Backes said the Blues would do the same thing the Canucks did — win their first elimination game.
“We thought about seven games at the beginning of the series and that’s what it’s going to take for us to have success,” he told reporters. “We will start with a win in Game 4.”
If the Blues want to push the series back to St. Louis, they’re going to need better goaltending. On Thursday, Brian Elliott was shakier than a seismograph on the San Andreas Fault, allowing this bad-angle goal to Mike Richards:
Later, he failed to squeeze the pads on a Drew Doughty shot:
Blues head coach Ken Hitchcock wouldn’t throw Elliott under the bus with his postgame comments, but hinted those mistakes decided the outcome.
“We mounted the comeback, made it 1-1, and then gave up the quick goal again,” he said. “And then when we had it 3-2, miss those two great chances and we let up another goal quickly after that.
“They are momentum goals on their side in the three games. That’s a fine line between winning and losing. They’re on top of their game right now. Have been for a little while.”
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 18
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 36
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM (38)