May 4, 2012, 12:58 PM EDT
If history ends up repeating itself, David Backes will look like a genius.
If it doesn’t, his season will be over.
That’s the situation at play after the St. Louis Blues lost 4-2 to the Kings on Thursday night, falling into an 0-3 series deficit.
This marks the second straight round LA has jumped out to a three games to none lead. They did the same to Vancouver before losing Game 4, then rallying to win Game 5 in OT.
After Thursday’s loss, Backes said the Blues would do the same thing the Canucks did — win their first elimination game.
“We thought about seven games at the beginning of the series and that’s what it’s going to take for us to have success,” he told reporters. “We will start with a win in Game 4.”
If the Blues want to push the series back to St. Louis, they’re going to need better goaltending. On Thursday, Brian Elliott was shakier than a seismograph on the San Andreas Fault, allowing this bad-angle goal to Mike Richards:
Later, he failed to squeeze the pads on a Drew Doughty shot:
Blues head coach Ken Hitchcock wouldn’t throw Elliott under the bus with his postgame comments, but hinted those mistakes decided the outcome.
“We mounted the comeback, made it 1-1, and then gave up the quick goal again,” he said. “And then when we had it 3-2, miss those two great chances and we let up another goal quickly after that.
“They are momentum goals on their side in the three games. That’s a fine line between winning and losing. They’re on top of their game right now. Have been for a little while.”
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry 0
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 7
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)