May 4, 2012, 11:46 PM EDT
The Phoenix Coyotes are just one win away from advancing to the Western Conference finals. Although secured the third seed in the regular season, that’s a pretty big surprise. The online sports book Bovada has probably been caught off guard.
Before the playoffs began, they gave the Coyotes 40/1 odds to win the Stanley Cup, which put them in a tie for last place with the Ottawa Senators. Perhaps they should have consulted with Montreal Canadiens forward Erik Cole, who predicted that the Coyotes would win the Stanley Cup back in early April.
That being said, obviously they haven’t won anything yet. The Los Angeles Kings are also looking pretty good right now and the St. Louis Blues and Nashville Predators aren’t out. That’s not even getting into the Eastern Conference, which is starting to look murkier, but still features four interesting squads.
Still, the Phoenix Coyotes don’t usually get a lot of respect – or attention for that matter. Guys like Shane Doan have dedicated themselves to a team where their struggle to find an owner is the source of intrigue and the actual on-ice product is often treated as an afterthought outside of Glendale.
Winning is forcing people to pay attention to them and, who knows, maybe Cole’s words will prove to be prophetic.
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 12
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 13
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)