May 4, 2012, 11:46 PM EDT
The Phoenix Coyotes are just one win away from advancing to the Western Conference finals. Although secured the third seed in the regular season, that’s a pretty big surprise. The online sports book Bovada has probably been caught off guard.
Before the playoffs began, they gave the Coyotes 40/1 odds to win the Stanley Cup, which put them in a tie for last place with the Ottawa Senators. Perhaps they should have consulted with Montreal Canadiens forward Erik Cole, who predicted that the Coyotes would win the Stanley Cup back in early April.
That being said, obviously they haven’t won anything yet. The Los Angeles Kings are also looking pretty good right now and the St. Louis Blues and Nashville Predators aren’t out. That’s not even getting into the Eastern Conference, which is starting to look murkier, but still features four interesting squads.
Still, the Phoenix Coyotes don’t usually get a lot of respect – or attention for that matter. Guys like Shane Doan have dedicated themselves to a team where their struggle to find an owner is the source of intrigue and the actual on-ice product is often treated as an afterthought outside of Glendale.
Winning is forcing people to pay attention to them and, who knows, maybe Cole’s words will prove to be prophetic.
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 6
- In praise of John Tavares 14
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 21
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 18
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 39
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 55
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36