May 4, 2012, 11:46 PM EDT
The Phoenix Coyotes are just one win away from advancing to the Western Conference finals. Although secured the third seed in the regular season, that’s a pretty big surprise. The online sports book Bovada has probably been caught off guard.
Before the playoffs began, they gave the Coyotes 40/1 odds to win the Stanley Cup, which put them in a tie for last place with the Ottawa Senators. Perhaps they should have consulted with Montreal Canadiens forward Erik Cole, who predicted that the Coyotes would win the Stanley Cup back in early April.
That being said, obviously they haven’t won anything yet. The Los Angeles Kings are also looking pretty good right now and the St. Louis Blues and Nashville Predators aren’t out. That’s not even getting into the Eastern Conference, which is starting to look murkier, but still features four interesting squads.
Still, the Phoenix Coyotes don’t usually get a lot of respect – or attention for that matter. Guys like Shane Doan have dedicated themselves to a team where their struggle to find an owner is the source of intrigue and the actual on-ice product is often treated as an afterthought outside of Glendale.
Winning is forcing people to pay attention to them and, who knows, maybe Cole’s words will prove to be prophetic.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 12
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 7
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 28
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 78
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)