May 4, 2012, 12:58 AM EDT
Jaroslav Halak isn’t walking through that door – at least not in the second round. So with the St. Louis Blues down 3-0 to the Los Angeles Kings and Brian Elliott struggling in net, it forces the question of whether wet-behind-the-ears prospect Jake Allen deserves a nod.
After all, Braden Holtby doesn’t have a huge playoff resume himself and he seems to be doing OK. Feel free to debate the merits of such a decision in the comments, but for the uninitiated (perhaps including Ken Hitchcock?), consider this Allen’s quickie resume.
(Much of this info via the Blues’ bio page.)
Weight: 195 lbs.
Drafted: second round (34th overall) in 2008
Career NHL regular season and playoff minutes: zero
You may remember Allen from his work in the 2010 World Hockey Championships, when he was part of a rotation that fell just short against Team USA in an overtime gold medal game. Beyond that, he was the CHL Goalie of the Year in 2009-10 and also was named the QMJHL best goalie (the trophy’s named after Jacques Plante, nifty) in the same season.
His numbers were solid with the Peoria Rivermen in the AHL. During this season, he went 13-20-2 in 38 games played, but his individual numbers were solid (2.93 GAA, .915 save percentage). He fared a little better in 2010-11, when he went 25-19-3 with a 2.52 GAA and .917 save percentage before struggling in three AHL playoff losses.
Those aren’t force-your-way-to-the-NHL numbers, but are they good enough for a desperate team to give him a try? Let us know.
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 0
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 16
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 21
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 62
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 85
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 9
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 56
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights