May 3, 2012, 8:35 PM EDT
Wednesday’s game between the New York Rangers and Washington Capitals started at 7:30pm ET. It ended after midnight. The contest lasted 114:41 minutes of actual playing time, making it one of the longest games in NHL history. Which begs the question: How do you even find the strength to play for that long?
Well, if you’re Marc Staal, who logged 49:34 minutes for the New York Rangers, you eat bananas. A lot of bananas. Staal gave an interview on Thursday to discuss what goes into recovering from a game like that. You can check it out below:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Of course, it takes more to win a triple-overtime game than just bananas. You also need plenty of soy sauce.
“We’re eating, we’re hydrating. You have fruit, you have white rice with soy sauce. You got a little bit of everything,” Washington’s Karl Alzner said. “It’s just do whatever you need to do. A lot of guys taping sticks, changing gear. Everything’s really getting wet and heavy, and you want to get a cool down somehow.”
Troy Brouwer compared it to being a kid, but instead of it being a pizza party, it was a four-plus hour marathon of NHL hockey in which he had to skate 32:02 minutes over 41 shifts. But hey, at least there were orange slices and power bars. You know, everything a kid could want.
Mercifully, neither team practiced on Thursday and they don’t have to play again until Saturday.
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 0
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 9
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 36
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 55
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)