May 3, 2012, 8:35 PM EST
Wednesday’s game between the New York Rangers and Washington Capitals started at 7:30pm ET. It ended after midnight. The contest lasted 114:41 minutes of actual playing time, making it one of the longest games in NHL history. Which begs the question: How do you even find the strength to play for that long?
Well, if you’re Marc Staal, who logged 49:34 minutes for the New York Rangers, you eat bananas. A lot of bananas. Staal gave an interview on Thursday to discuss what goes into recovering from a game like that. You can check it out below:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Of course, it takes more to win a triple-overtime game than just bananas. You also need plenty of soy sauce.
“We’re eating, we’re hydrating. You have fruit, you have white rice with soy sauce. You got a little bit of everything,” Washington’s Karl Alzner said. “It’s just do whatever you need to do. A lot of guys taping sticks, changing gear. Everything’s really getting wet and heavy, and you want to get a cool down somehow.”
Troy Brouwer compared it to being a kid, but instead of it being a pizza party, it was a four-plus hour marathon of NHL hockey in which he had to skate 32:02 minutes over 41 shifts. But hey, at least there were orange slices and power bars. You know, everything a kid could want.
Mercifully, neither team practiced on Thursday and they don’t have to play again until Saturday.
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 0
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 1
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 39
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 52
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 15
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (39)
- Panthers announced attendance Tuesday night lowest since 2008 (37)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)