May 3, 2012, 9:30 PM EDT
This might just be me, but Ryan Getzlaf has always carried the vague air of a sports movie villain. Maybe it’s his size or just Corey Perry‘s “reputation” rubbing off on him, but the Anaheim Ducks captain looks like the leader of the kind of team the fictional Mighty Ducks would have faced for some obscure championship. Team Canada will play its 2012 World Hockey Championships games in neutral-at-best environments, so Getzlaf might make sense as captain.
NHL.com points out that Getzlaf has a chance to become a member of the “triple gold club” and his other impressive team successes.
Having won the Stanley Cup with Anaheim in 2007, Getzlaf can also join the fabled Triple Gold Club, the 25-member group of players who have won Olympic gold, a World Championship, and the Stanley Cup. Patrice Bergeron became the most recent member of the club last summer when he won the Stanley Cup with the Boston Bruins. Getzlaf’s Team Canada teammates Corey Perry and Duncan Keith could also potentially join the club with World Championship gold in 2012.
Yup, Getzlaf can make a strong argument that he’s a winner. His buddy Corey Perry headlines the rest of the team along with Duncan Keith and Cam Ward. The alternate captains are Dion Phaneuf and Patrick Sharp.
Here is the full roster, in case you’re wondering.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)