May 3, 2012, 9:30 PM EDT
This might just be me, but Ryan Getzlaf has always carried the vague air of a sports movie villain. Maybe it’s his size or just Corey Perry‘s “reputation” rubbing off on him, but the Anaheim Ducks captain looks like the leader of the kind of team the fictional Mighty Ducks would have faced for some obscure championship. Team Canada will play its 2012 World Hockey Championships games in neutral-at-best environments, so Getzlaf might make sense as captain.
NHL.com points out that Getzlaf has a chance to become a member of the “triple gold club” and his other impressive team successes.
Having won the Stanley Cup with Anaheim in 2007, Getzlaf can also join the fabled Triple Gold Club, the 25-member group of players who have won Olympic gold, a World Championship, and the Stanley Cup. Patrice Bergeron became the most recent member of the club last summer when he won the Stanley Cup with the Boston Bruins. Getzlaf’s Team Canada teammates Corey Perry and Duncan Keith could also potentially join the club with World Championship gold in 2012.
Yup, Getzlaf can make a strong argument that he’s a winner. His buddy Corey Perry headlines the rest of the team along with Duncan Keith and Cam Ward. The alternate captains are Dion Phaneuf and Patrick Sharp.
Here is the full roster, in case you’re wondering.
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 0
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 0
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (46)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)