May 3, 2012, 9:30 PM EDT
This might just be me, but Ryan Getzlaf has always carried the vague air of a sports movie villain. Maybe it’s his size or just Corey Perry‘s “reputation” rubbing off on him, but the Anaheim Ducks captain looks like the leader of the kind of team the fictional Mighty Ducks would have faced for some obscure championship. Team Canada will play its 2012 World Hockey Championships games in neutral-at-best environments, so Getzlaf might make sense as captain.
NHL.com points out that Getzlaf has a chance to become a member of the “triple gold club” and his other impressive team successes.
Having won the Stanley Cup with Anaheim in 2007, Getzlaf can also join the fabled Triple Gold Club, the 25-member group of players who have won Olympic gold, a World Championship, and the Stanley Cup. Patrice Bergeron became the most recent member of the club last summer when he won the Stanley Cup with the Boston Bruins. Getzlaf’s Team Canada teammates Corey Perry and Duncan Keith could also potentially join the club with World Championship gold in 2012.
Yup, Getzlaf can make a strong argument that he’s a winner. His buddy Corey Perry headlines the rest of the team along with Duncan Keith and Cam Ward. The alternate captains are Dion Phaneuf and Patrick Sharp.
Here is the full roster, in case you’re wondering.
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 18
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (60)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)