May 3, 2012, 9:30 PM EDT
This might just be me, but Ryan Getzlaf has always carried the vague air of a sports movie villain. Maybe it’s his size or just Corey Perry‘s “reputation” rubbing off on him, but the Anaheim Ducks captain looks like the leader of the kind of team the fictional Mighty Ducks would have faced for some obscure championship. Team Canada will play its 2012 World Hockey Championships games in neutral-at-best environments, so Getzlaf might make sense as captain.
NHL.com points out that Getzlaf has a chance to become a member of the “triple gold club” and his other impressive team successes.
Having won the Stanley Cup with Anaheim in 2007, Getzlaf can also join the fabled Triple Gold Club, the 25-member group of players who have won Olympic gold, a World Championship, and the Stanley Cup. Patrice Bergeron became the most recent member of the club last summer when he won the Stanley Cup with the Boston Bruins. Getzlaf’s Team Canada teammates Corey Perry and Duncan Keith could also potentially join the club with World Championship gold in 2012.
Yup, Getzlaf can make a strong argument that he’s a winner. His buddy Corey Perry headlines the rest of the team along with Duncan Keith and Cam Ward. The alternate captains are Dion Phaneuf and Patrick Sharp.
Here is the full roster, in case you’re wondering.
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 40
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 17
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 17
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 13
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 4
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 59
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)