May 3, 2012, 11:33 AM EST
(Sportsnet’s Darren Millard notes the appeal challenges suspension length, not the suspension itself.)
The ban was issued on Apr. 21 by NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan and later that day, Torres released a statement through the NHLPA stating he would “take the next few days to decide whether or not to appeal the decision.”
Shortly thereafter, Brough wrote the following:
The risk for the PA should it decide to appeal is considerable. For the past two weeks, the NHL has been lambasted by fans and media for its failure to apply tough justice. An appeal would put the union right in the same cross-hairs. And with the upcoming CBA negotiations, the last thing it’ll want to do is get on the wrong side of the public.
The NHLPA walks a very fine line in these situations. On the one hand, it’s obligated to defend members who it feels are treated unfairly by the league. In the Torres case, the word “scapegoat” comes to mind.
On the other hand, what about Hossa? Isn’t he a member as well?
Torres has already missed six games and since the Coyotes can’t be eliminated before Game 6 of their Western Conference semifinal, he’s guaranteed to miss at least another three — bringing his minimum number of games served to nine.
Like all appeals, Torres’ will be heard by league commissioner Gary Bettman.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 22
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (70)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)