May 3, 2012, 11:33 AM EDT
(Sportsnet’s Darren Millard notes the appeal challenges suspension length, not the suspension itself.)
The ban was issued on Apr. 21 by NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan and later that day, Torres released a statement through the NHLPA stating he would “take the next few days to decide whether or not to appeal the decision.”
Shortly thereafter, Brough wrote the following:
The risk for the PA should it decide to appeal is considerable. For the past two weeks, the NHL has been lambasted by fans and media for its failure to apply tough justice. An appeal would put the union right in the same cross-hairs. And with the upcoming CBA negotiations, the last thing it’ll want to do is get on the wrong side of the public.
The NHLPA walks a very fine line in these situations. On the one hand, it’s obligated to defend members who it feels are treated unfairly by the league. In the Torres case, the word “scapegoat” comes to mind.
On the other hand, what about Hossa? Isn’t he a member as well?
Torres has already missed six games and since the Coyotes can’t be eliminated before Game 6 of their Western Conference semifinal, he’s guaranteed to miss at least another three — bringing his minimum number of games served to nine.
Like all appeals, Torres’ will be heard by league commissioner Gary Bettman.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 15
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 25
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)