May 3, 2012, 1:55 PM EDT
According to TSN’s Katherine Dolan, Radulov said he doesn’t know his status but won’t ask to return to the lineup — instead, he says he’ll leave that decision up to the coaches.
This uncertainty echos what Predators head coach Barry Trotz said on Thursday — he wasn’t sure about lineup changes, but commented “I know it’s going to be tough if I do [change] anything.”
Okay, so there are three major issues facing Nashville right now:
1. Despite the fact they’ve both been shamed publicly, Radulov and Kostitsyn haven’t offered up much in the way of apology. Radulov stumbled through a mea culpa (including the “I didn’t come back that late” line) while Kostitsyn said nothing.
Tried to make contact Tuesday with some former players to ask if they’d come across anything like this. There were three common threads. First, was the apology heartfelt? Second, was this a first-time offence or repeat behaviour? Third, how important was the situation?
The answers are 1) Not publicly, 2) Don’t know, and 3) Pretty Freaking Important.
Win or lose, can Barry Trotz afford to play them again?
2. The guys that drew in (Jordin Tootoo and Matt Halischuk) really contributed to the return to “Predator hockey”. Tootoo led all skaters with five hits, Halischuk had two takeaways, a hit and a blocked shot.
3. Trotz could lose both guys if he keeps holding them out. Say what you will about Radulov’s sloth like performance in Games 1 and 2, but don’t forget he led Nashville with five points in five games during the first-round ouster of Detroit. And for all of Kostitsyn’s flaws, he can still put the puck in the net.
If the Preds eventually needs an injection of offense — and based on their postseason history, they will — they won’t want Radulov or Kostitsyn frozen out.
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 8
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 3
- Senators’ coach MacLean: Karlsson ‘wasn’t one of the best players’ 4
- Discuss: Penguins defeat Senators in Game 2; lead series 2-0 34
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators 81
- Torres won’t appeal suspension, Sharks call punishment ‘grossly unfair’ 9
- Flyers owner Snider: ‘I didn’t pick Bryz’ 60
- Sens’ MacLean, Ducks’ Boudreau, Hawks’ Quenneville are Jack Adams finalists 23
- Playoffs Tonight: ‘Pesky’ Sens fight to even series vs Pens 18
- Video: Vlasic’s controversial delay of game penalty 22
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Discuss: Penguins knock Islanders out of playoffs (99)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (84)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Swimmer Phelps denies comeback rumors
- PHT: Crosby's hat trick powers Penguins past Senators
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Gronk taking pre-surgery rip through Vegas
- PFT: Seahawks' Irvin suspended for violating PED policy
- Orb favored to take Preakness, set up Triple try
- What to watch for at the Preakness